PDA

View Full Version : Great trip report from Tarpon Cayo Lodge

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-03-2005, 10:31 AM
http://www.kiene.com/articles/images/TCLjune05.jpg

Hi Bill and Keith,

Hey Keith, those were some great photos that you took down there!

We had a great time on our trip. We were the only two fishermen there at the time. Most days were cloudy and we hit two days of torrential rain that kept us inside for a time. We hit them on Seaducers - Yellow/Red, White/Red, Burnt Orange/Yellow, Burnt Orange. San Felipe Specials and some other flies the guide had also produced very well. In the mangroves, poppers (olive and white), Snookaroos (red and white) and Tarpon Neutralizers (orange followed by chartreuse) really produced. The first two days we found them on the flats then, later in the trip, the mangroves on the outgoing tide was the answer. The fast taper rods worked the best - no place for wimpy stuff. The S/A Ultra 4 Tropical line cast like a dream - casting the entire line was not a problem except when the wind was in your face. Furled leaders turned the flies over much better than the standard setup. A nine to ten foot leader seemed to be fine. We had a fabulous guide who had an uncanny sense for where the fish were. My limited knowledge of Spanish really paid off and was at a loss for words only a couple of times in the entire trip. By the end of the trip, we were like old friends.

The accommodations were spartan, but extremely clean and very adequate. The A/C in our room worked well. We did develop a roof leak, but they took care of it right away. The food was very good, but after the third day of fish for lunch and dinner, it became a bit monotonous. We asked for something different and got pork the next night. The service was outstanding. Your assessment of these people is correct - they are like family.

I was impressed with the town of San Felipe -- it's people are very friendly and it's not "touristy" at all - no restaurants that gouge the gringos, souvenir shops, vendors bugging you to buy stuff, etc. Although it is a very old town, it is very clean. You don't see any litter in the streets.

As indicated, the roads were very good (quite a bit of it freeway). The quaint towns, particulary the churches (some built in the 1600's) were an added treat.

I'll send a couple of sample photos in a separate e-mail.

I will go back.

Thanks to both of you for all of your help,

Joe