PDA

View Full Version : Bass in the back yard

Rick J
07-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Got home last night and felt restless - been awhile since I took the kayak out on the lake in the subdivision I live in - Hidden Valley Lake in Lake County. I only had a bit over an hour and could not find my poppers so took out the conventional gear - just before the sun dipped below the hills I hooked one around 4 # on a rubber worm. As it got darker I switched to top water and hooked one around 3# that finally came loose as I was pulling it in attached to around 2# of weeds! Several others from 1 to 2#'s so a good night. So now I rumage for the poppers and do this right!!

Adam Grace
07-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Surface fishing for bass at dusk is a fun experince even on Conventional gear :P

I am surrounded by SAVAGES :lol:

Glad to hear that you had fun with those bass Rick.

Keep on rippin lips :!:

Hairstacker
07-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Rick, I applaud your courage to come out of the closet. :lol:

Myself, I'm still working on coming up with a perfect plastic worm immitation. :lol:

Rick J
07-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Mike,
The perfect plastic worm imitation is in fact a plastic worm. In a recent STS magazine article a guy wrote about throwing pink flip tail rubber worms to steelhead. He would tie heavy mono onto a hook and cock it to act as a barb to keep the worm in place. Says it works better than rabbit leeches. He throws in on both floating and sink tip lines. I mentioned this on the Spey BB and drew some interesting responses!!

Mind you I have not tried this yet but.... NO!! NO!!

HC
07-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Bass fishing in the Delta last summer I spent the morning in quiet desperation as my son kicked my butt with gear and a plastic worm. While bass after bass came to his worm I couldn't get a sniff with my flies, and I tried everything. Finally, with loathing and fascination I accepted his offer of a sinko plastic worm. Skulking aft, I canned the shooting head and streamer, tied a worm hook right on to the amnesia running line and hooked up a 4" sinko worm. With the sinko jiggling heavily on the hook, it cast like a dream out of the line tamer. I then proceeded to have my due the last couple of hours using that sinko worm. This may be a reach but I had thought to possess some facility with a rod and fly. The Fish gods work was mysterious and humbling, but I do not question the gift of that afternoon and have yet to put my hand back into the toothy maw of luck. But then, we took some nice bass that day so I never can say never again. HC