PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Fly Preferences

Hairstacker
07-02-2005, 12:52 AM
Well, thought I would throw this one out there after reading another thread that evolved into a discussion of fly fishing preferences. I know some folks will only fish with flies they've tied themselves. Others buy all the flies they fish with and still others fall somewhere in between. How about you? Which category above best fits your preferences?

David Lee
07-02-2005, 01:01 AM
What can I say ??

I have , on several occasions , been given great bugs from whoever ... I smile , say a big ol' THANK YOU .... and put 'em away .

Then ..... I take 'em home and CLONE them (better , of course :P ) .

WTF .... better than bait .... right ??

David -

Hairstacker
07-02-2005, 01:03 AM
Well, I screwed up the poll -- the first line is supposed to be one of the choices. :oops: Unfortunately, it won't let me edit the poll choices. :( Sorry guys. . . . :oops:

MSP
07-02-2005, 07:24 AM
Ah yes a big lively Crawler dipped in Dr Juice embedded on a #4 live bait hook, a Bimini top, and ice cold beer :!: It doesn't get any better than that. I hate it when the fish bother me 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-02-2005, 08:40 AM
Fishing is kind of like sex for some of us.

We mostly talk about it.

Darian
07-02-2005, 08:53 AM
Personally,..... I'm a homemade stink bait fan.... Gimme a big ol' samwich, a brewski and a wada stink bait on a bait holder hook for them cat's in places like Clear Lake.... Catch 'em n' eat 'em. MMM, MMM,... Good fish.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep them skeeters out tho :x :x :x

Hairstacker
07-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Somehow, this poll isn't quite going in the direction I expected. Having said that, I think it's hard to beat half a nightcrawler, 18" under a splitshot, high-sticked through pocket water. :lol:

David Lee
07-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Don't sweat it , Mike ...

Just holiday weekend madness going around , I think . :shock:

Just goes to show what kind of bait-fishing SAVAGES we have here on the board :P :!:

Any chance you are coming up anytime soon ?? I need my 'fishing w/ Hairstacker' fix .... (been too damm long -)

I know this spot where the Bass look UP all the time .... :twisted:

David

Adam Grace
07-02-2005, 10:00 AM
I will continue with the original subject of FLIES you bait dunking SAVAGES :lol:

I try to ties up as many flies as I can for my own use. I am not always prepared for a trip, due to laziness, but I have been known to purchase some flies as well. I tend to purchase more intricate patterns like dry flies and custom patterns from famous tiers like Mike Mercer and Bob Quigly.

And sometimes I plan a trip on the spur of the moment and find myself without anytime to tie up flies. Then it's back to the fly shop for bugs.

Jasonh
07-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Whenit comes to steelhead fishing i tie and fish all my own flies unless someone wants me to try a new pattern or something. As for trout, i still tie most of my own but am like Adam, i will buy the more intricate patterns. As for bass, i buy them all. Too dang hard to tie and i don't need to buy any more materials!

Jason Hartwick

Darian
07-02-2005, 09:52 PM
OK guys,..... I give. :roll: I'll try to treat this subject in the manner to which I believe it should be relegated..... :? :? (If you think you understand what I just wrote, you might be right :lol: )

Anyway,.... I tie and fish my own flies where possible. 8) I, also, buy small flies (size 18 and below) because I have a distinct dislike :x :x for tying anything that small and I was that way before I became visually challenged :lol: :lol: :lol: Having said that, I do tie small flies on occassion just to keep my hand in. :roll: :roll:

I'm an inveterate collector of other peoples flies.... Building quite a collection..... :D All of the guys who participate in te swaps're part of my collection, now.... 8) 8) 8)