PDA

View Full Version : Helgrammites???

Darian
06-30-2005, 10:38 PM
Several years ago, while fishing the Mokelumne, I came across a what looked to be a larval stage of a very large bug in the shallows below a fast riffle. 8) It was colored dark on the head/thorax but sandy or tan for the abdomen. There were three matched pairs of legs on the thorax and a number of matched pairs of legs on each segment of the abdomen and a tail (antennae :?: ) The overall length of this larva was approximately 2" and it was a thick bodied bug. :shock: This larva might be able to grab a Trout and throw it out on the bank :shock: :shock: :shock:

In doing some research on this bug, I decided that it might be an Alder Fly Larva (Helgrammite). It could, also, be a Riffle Devil. Has anyone, here, had any experience with this type of bug :?: :?: I know that Stonefly Nymphs are commonly referred to as a Helgrammite but that is not what I'm referring to.

Haven't used it yet but I tied up a nymph based on the fly using dark brown dubbing for the head/thorax and dark brown goose biots, facing the eye of the hook, for the legs. The abdomen is weighted heavily and tan wool yarn is used to cover the weight. The legs for the abdomen are tan goose biots facing the bend of the hook. For the tail, a pair of tan goose biots are tied in facing the eye.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-30-2005, 10:50 PM
We need a picture.

That would have been cool to have a good digital that gets close.

Jgoding
07-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Hey Darian,

Were the "legs" on the abdomen sticking up?? Sounds like a Dobsonfly... they're about the only thing that gets that big and look that mean. Alder flies are quite smaller, not sure what their larvae look like either. Some of the really large aquatic beetles can be quire large as well, but they are usually all sandy brown in color, but typically don't hang out in flowing water.

Jeff

Darian
07-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Hi Jeff,..... Didn't consider a Dobsonfly..... :roll: The legs on this larva were opposing pairs from the sides.... I was under the impression that Dobsonfly's have very large mandibles that overlap each other (very visible) :shock: :shock: . I didn't see anything like that, in front, but I didn't check carefully. :? Gotta admit, I wasn't lettin' this thing get near my finger tips, tho. :lol: :lol:

Jgoding
07-01-2005, 09:39 AM
HI Darian,

Only the adult males have the big over lapping mandibles, all the larvae look the same (still, they have big chompers). And around here, in Cali. at least, we don't have the species that has the big mandibles. Gotta head East to see them.

Jeff

Hairstacker
07-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Well, according to Dave Hughes' Handbook of Hatches (2005), the hellgrammite is the larval stage of the dobsonfly. Your description does sound like a hellgrammite. Aside from the 3 pairs of legs located at the front, those other "legs" you referred to are actually lateral gill filaments according to Hughes, and there are posterior hooks on the last segment. Hughes included a picture of one in his book and he states that you want to keep your fingers away from the large biting mandibles on the head, as they are aggressive and they will bite you. :shock:

By the way, I recently read this Hughes book from cover to cover (270+ pages), and I HIGHLY recommend it. I've learned to visually recognize all of the stages of all the major and minor aquatic insects that trout key on, even to the point where I can now visually identify the four types of mayfly nymphs from each other and from stoneflies, as well as understand their behaviorial differences, the different types of waters each inhabits, and which fly patterns best immitate each type. I mean, how many of us already knew that the pheasant tail nymph, with its slender profile, best immitates swimmer mayfly nymphs that are typically found in great numbers in weedy areas of slow moving waters in rivers and creeks and ponds and lakes? Or how many of us already knew that the hare's ear nymph is a great immitation of crawler mayfly nymphs that are typically found in fast moving waters such as riffles where they'll dead-drift if they lose their grip on the bottom? (Ok, maybe I was the only one who didn't know these things, ha.) Anyway, he similarly distinguishes the various types of caddis larva, pupa, etc., their behavior patterns, best fly patterns for each type, and where and how to fish them. And so on. Remains to be seen if all this book-learnin' has ANY impact on my results, ha. :lol:

Darian
07-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Hey Mike,.... I'm waiting to hear How all that book knowledge applies to the Black Bass in the delta :lol: :lol: :P :P :P :P