PDA

View Full Version : jet boats

Jasonh
06-30-2005, 05:49 PM
Not that i am looking at the moment, but in the future i would like to look at buying a jet boat for rivers like the klamath and our valley rivers. Anyone have any ideas? I noticed the lowe 16' roughneck is popular. Any ideas on what kind of jets or horsepower one would need. Thanks.

Jason Hartwick

Tracy Chimenti
07-01-2005, 05:51 PM
I met a guy the other day that works for Herb Burton guides. He has an 18-foot Lowe Roughneck and powers it with a 60 HP Merc 4-stroke pump. The motor says 40 HP on it, but that's the HP at the pump discharge. Looked like plenty of room for four guys and ran like a striped ape.

On the other hand, I have a 14-foot Fisher John with 40 Hp Merc jet (28 HP at pump), and it runs well with two people, gear and one 80-pound dog. Sometimes I wish I had another two feet (what man wouldn't?), but it's so light, small, manueverable and easy to dislodge, I can manage. A 16-footer would probably weigh another 150-pounds?, but would likely ride just as fast with the same motor due to added displacement due to increased hull surface.

I bought my motor in Medford. $1500-dollars cheaper there.

Tracy

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-01-2005, 10:13 PM
You could get a Lowe Roughneck 16' with trailer and with a Honda tiller 50/35 for ~$12,000.

They have a wider 17' that you could put a Yamaha 60/40 on for $14000.

They have them at Sutter Marine in Yuba City.

See Brian there for help.