PDA

View Full Version : Making a Shad Trip from Bay Area

bp
06-29-2005, 10:08 PM
Hey guys,

new to the board. love the info and the attitude (or lack thereof) already. Coming up to fisht the American from my pram tomorrow afternoon (Th) :D . where would you recommend? pretty new at this so any specific locations or water types to look for would be much appreciated.

rigged up with my 8 and a type VI shooting head (also have a type III). gonna try both dumbell and chain eye flies. for a shot at steelies, what kind of dropper do you recommend?

thanks in advance for the help.

bp

David Lee
06-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Welcome to the board , BP !!!

I haven't been out :roll: .... BUT -

If I had the day off tomorrow , w/ a Pram ... I'd go to UPPER SUNRISE - set up at the tailout of the island (against the NORTH bank) , make sure to let the fly hang down for a moment or two at the end of the swing .

I hope you SPANK those silly little black-mouth critters - :twisted:

David

bp
06-29-2005, 10:24 PM
David

thanks for the quick response. would you throw the VI or the III?

Brent

Darian
06-29-2005, 10:30 PM
Hey bd,..... The flows are still a bit high/fast. I'd start with the type VI and go to the type III if unsuccessful..... 8) 8) If you 're gonna stay late, look for fish spawning in the surface and try a floating or sink-tip line.... 8) One of the other guys on the BB used a Fox's Poopah to catch a bunch a few days ago 8) 8) 8) 8)

David Lee
06-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Hi Brent !

I ALWAYS go for the fast one first . If you're catchin' snagfish , then change . Make sure to jig that sucker at the end of the swing for a while .

Also - Shad are one of the few "social" fish - Shad fishermen are pretty cool about sharing a spot , so don't be afraid to ask for a place in line if ya see someone into 'em . Always ask first , though (for the record , I have been asked a few hundred times , and have offered , as well , for people to come into the bucket ... They are just Shad , after all ....) .

Great to see ya here , give us a report after you get back home .....if your arms ain't too tired :P

David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-29-2005, 11:40 PM
Sailor Bar