PDA

View Full Version : Recent fishing at Frenchman Lake

johnhogg
06-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Bill Carnazzo and I fished Frenchman on Sunday, June 20.

We had never visited the lake before, and we fished from my 14 foot Lowe Roughneck.

We drove up the west side of the lake to where there is a very adequate boat launch with a floating dock. Float tubers should proceed another two miles to the farthest north end of the lake which shallows out and has good parking and easy access - about a 100 yard walk.

Most of the anglers we encountered were from Reno, which is probably about 35 miles away.

In the morning we fished the east side and encountered fish in about 12 feet of water, which was about 100 feet from the shore. We were probably 1/4 mile from the float tuber 'flats'. it was about 10 am, and the air temperature was probably low 50's. The best bite was on the bottom. I used a 5x leader about 10 feet in length.

We cruised most of the shore line of both east and west sides, and worked some very promising looking coves - nothing there. The fish seem to stick to the main shore line.

Using a type 4 full sink, and different wooly buggers and Denny Rickard still water patterns we caught rainbows ranging from 14 inches to 18 inches. The fishing was very good! The fish are very strong and really feisty! The takes were very hard - there was no worry about setting the hook.

When the bite slowed we moved, and finally encountered fish in about 20 feet. (The air temperature was now up to the low 70's.) Bill had a Rio Deep 7 which got down all the way and he caught fish until his arm got tired. My type 4 did not work well in this depth. I added beads and finally split shot to get down deep enough, but success was limited. They liked the presentation that the Deep 7 gives which is flat along the bottom.

Finally Bill let me use his rod and line, first because, as mentioned, his arm was tired, and secondly, because it was my boat, and he realized he was facing a long walk home. So I also was able to finish the day with some nice action.

By the way, if you use one of these Deep 7's bear in mind they are extremely heavy. You will probably want to use an 8 weight rod to cast it.

We talked to some tubers who put in on the east side around 4 pm, and they were expecting a blook midge hatch as soon as the sun went off the water. We couldn't stay 'til then so I can't confirm if a hatch comes off or not. We did not see any hatches in the morning or afternoon.

No weedbeds had yet developed, and we saw no damsel migrations or hatches. We saw a couple of damsel nymphs during the day and that was it. There was very little surface activity.
Frenchman does allow jet skis and there is no motor limitation on the lake. However all those on the lake were well mannered and stayed well away from the anglers. There are 5 mph speed restrictions within 200 feet of shore.

You should bring your own food and beverages, and be prepared for varying weather conditions. In spite of the moderate temperatures, the sun was very hot and direct and I got some sunburn. :oops:

Have fun, John Hogg

David Lee
06-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Great report , John -

My image of Bill Carnazzo is shattered ..... using a SINKING line ?!? :? :shock: :!:

Next thing ya know .... I'll start fishin' drys - :P

Thanks again for the report !! (and , sorry .... Mr. C.)

06-29-2005, 10:58 PM
Hey John.
Very nice report. You covered all the bases very nicely. What happened. The master of the short line method went deep?