PDA

View Full Version : stampede reservoir

andbob1
06-29-2005, 05:18 PM
I will be fishing stampede reservoir this weekend and was wondering if anybody on the board has any tips that might help. I will be camping there but it might be better to fish one of the smaller lakes in the area like prosser or martis, any tips will be appriciated. thanks

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Unreal andbob1,

I just got off the phone with Dan at Truckee River Outfitters in Truckee, CA.

Funny, I was asking him what was going on and he said his favorite place is Stampede Reservoir. He fishes at the north end where three tributaries come into the lake.

You need a float tube or something to get around in.

He said to use callibaetis emergers in the mid-morning and then 10am to 1pm you should get a hatch. And then at sunset there is a spinner fall.

I have not fished on that lake but have been fishing callibaetis hatches sense 1965. This is a western lake mayfly that comes off from Nor Cal to B.C. In BC they are 12/14. Here they are 14/16. They get small through the summer and usually hatch on lakes mid-day. If there is no wind and no clouds it can be wild. I would get out there at 9am and when they start emerging you throw nymphs to the rises and make subtle short strips.

After that when they really get on the water like little sail boats the trout eat adults. If there is a breeze you might have better luck plus be able to use funkier adult imitations and 5x tippet. When it is smooth we use 6x with paraduns, comparaduns or Quigley cripples.

You need to have some callibaetis emergers which can be a light olive nymph with a dark wing case, or a PT or a Hares Ear (no bead head please). We usually fish those on a 9' or longer leader to 5x tippet.

You need some callibaetis paraduns or comparadun or some Quigley cripples in 14/16. Long leaders on a floating line with 5x or 6x tippet. "Always fish the heaviest tippet fish with bit on and sometimes that is 7x".

You might like an anchor so you can position yourself for better casting results depending on the direction of the wind. With a boat we like two anchors.

I did hear that Frenchman was fishing well too.

andbob1
06-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the info Bill I will try to put it to good use. It should be a good weekend of fishing if the fish cooperate.