PDA

View Full Version : American 6-28

Katz
06-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Took a friend out for his first day flyfishing for striper. We were fishing from shore on the lower American and did very well. We had 4 doubles and landed at least 20 fish between the two of us. All were under 20 inches but one. That one was just under 6lbs.

Great to have the river fishable from shore again.

His quote for the day was. "Wow, I'm really hooked on this!"

Katz

Adam Grace
06-29-2005, 01:37 AM
Cool, those line sides can really PULL!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-29-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks Katz,

Where, roughly, where you guys?

Katz
06-29-2005, 09:43 AM
We were near Paradise Beach and I will just say that in addition to mosquitos there were too rather intoxicated Co-eds in Bikini's 8) that were quite worried about us hurting the poor fish and actually came over to take a look at the larger fish. "Can we touch it? Eeeek!!!" :oops: Not the normal scenery I am used to at the American, but entertaining none the less. :wink:

We were using a shooting head on one rig and a SA 350grain Streamer Express with very fast retreive.

I'm sure those of you that know the river know where I am talking about.

Best of luck.

Katz

jbpreston
06-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Never gone after bass, and after hooking only one Shad yesterday, I think I'll take advantage of the low flows (and my wife and kids out of state for 5 days) and get in on this action.

Is bassin it from shore something I can explore a bit with or is it better to spend some time at the shop asking questions?

Thanks

JB

David Lee
06-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Welcome to the board . JB -

You can wade for Stripes all the way from Nimbus dam to the 80 bridge . Use sink-tip lines , shooting heads , or full floating lines( for poppers) . Fish whatever fly you choose with an ACTIVE retreive (Stripes LOVE to chase frightened/crippled bait) . You will find the Stripers everywhere .... riffles , runs , frog water ....

Look for spots where you can wade in saftey , or spots that have back-cast room . When the sun is off the water , they get active . Just cover the water and you'll find some ...

Go give it a try - David

jbpreston
07-02-2005, 10:48 PM
I'm hooked. Had a lot of fun. Landed 4 smaller fish in 2 hours. Had one huge take. Whats the season like. Does it get better throughout the summer? What are the key months?

JB

BillPu
07-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the board . JB -

You can wade for Stripes all the way from Nimbus dam to the 80 bridge . Use sink-tip lines , shooting heads , or full floating lines( for poppers) . Fish whatever fly you choose with an ACTIVE retreive (Stripes LOVE to chase frightened/crippled bait) . You will find the Stripers everywhere .... riffles , runs , frog water ....

Look for spots where you can wade in saftey , or spots that have back-cast room . When the sun is off the water , they get active . Just cover the water and you'll find some ...

Go give it a try - David

David,

Would a 9wt be overkill? Do you guys go with waders or is it warm enough for shorts and sneakers?

Bill

David Lee
07-04-2005, 12:05 PM
A 9 will be fine , Bill .

As of now , most of us are wet wading ('cept for Rich Owings .... he gets chilly :P )

Go w/ a 24 foot intergrated sink-tip (300 grains) , that should keep ya in Shad , Stripes , Steelies , Salmon .....

I'll take you out after the 10th and show you around (free of charge , of course) .

Good luck !!

David

BillPu
07-04-2005, 12:09 PM
A 9 will be fine , Bill .

As of now , most of us are wet wading ('cept for Rich Owings .... he gets chilly :P )

Go w/ a 24 foot intergrated sink-tip (300 grains) , that should keep ya in Shad , Stripes , Steelies , Salmon .....

I'll take you out after the 10th and show you around (free of charge , of course) .

Good luck !!

David

Hey David,

Thanks very much for the tips! I definitely would greatly apreciate your expertise on the river. Of course a few cold ones would be on me! :lol:

Let me know when you want to go. I am free most days since I just moved the family units up here from SoCal.

Bill

Hairstacker
07-04-2005, 12:28 PM
JB and Bill, welcome aboard!

Bill, if you have the opportunity, DO NOT pass up the chance to fish with David. You WILL conclude you're fishing with a professional guide for free. I know I did. Plus you won't find a nicer, all-around great guy to hang out with. 8)