PDA

View Full Version : Texas Bass report

Jasonh
06-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Fished a local golf course pond here in Austin tonight for a couple of hours and did pretty well on largemouth to three pounds. Most fish were caught on a small foam popper. Swithced over to a larger pencil popper and started to land some nice 2-3 lb fish. All in all about 20 fish to hand and many others lost.

Here is a picture of a largemouth Brett Humphries caught on a popper a few months ago at Decker Lake on the outskirts of Austin.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/longhorn4life/Fishing/decker1.jpg

Jason Hartwick

Adam Grace
06-29-2005, 01:41 AM
Nice bass Brett!

I'm glad to hear that you guys are fishing together a little bit more.

Have fun there in the land of ten gallon hats :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-29-2005, 11:38 PM
I thought that was "Gadabout Gaddis"?

THE SHOWMEN - GADABOUT GADDIS

R.V. “Gadabout” Gaddis was the original TV fisherman, but he started in 1938 with a weekly fishing radio show on a General Electric affiliate in Schenectady, New York. In 1939, GE asked him to do an experimental show for something new called television. Gaddis had already made fishing films, which he transposed to the new medium. During World War II he toured with his films, and then in 1952 he bought his first small airplane, which he used to “gad about” between fishing destinations. His growing program finally cracked the New York City market in 1963, by which time he was known as the “Flying Fisherman.” Beyond his pioneering work on the small screen, Gaddis was noteworthy for making every effort to catch common fish with inexpensive tackle, and that plain-folks fishing mentality endeared him to a broad audience. It is worth noting that the difference between his and many of today’s televised fishing shows is that Gadabout’s were usually intelligent.

Nip Hadlock
06-30-2005, 06:49 AM
I remember that show! There was one with Curt Gowdy, (Red Sox broadcaster), fishing from a pontoon plane with "Gad".

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-30-2005, 07:52 AM
Hi Nip,

I think we are giving away our age here.

When I was a kid I read every magazine I could find on fishing and watched all the fishing TV shows too.

Nip Hadlock
06-30-2005, 08:56 AM
Ummm..maybe I was watching reruns? :wink: The Ameican Sportsman had some good fishing show with celebs back then too...

06-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Sorry Bill
I think I am too young to remember Gad.
Sturm Yeah!

MSP
06-30-2005, 05:56 PM
Gaddabout Gaddis the Flying Fisherman, catching fish from the float plane pontoons before it even got stopped! Who could forget :shock: He kinda reminded me of the Cajun Cook! I'm wearing my AGE! :(

Oh BTW Jason. Nice report, now get your butt back home here and let's do some real fishing! 8)

Jasonh
06-30-2005, 08:58 PM
I am ready for some real fishin! Bass fishing is fun and all but they just don't seem to take any line like steelhead, trout, and strippers. Looks like i might be back in the middle of august.

Jason Hartwick

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Yes Nip,

I lived for the American Sportsman Shop on TV.

Must have been the '60s?

That was a pet deal of Curt Gowdy's.

Some of it is on video now too.

Phil Harris, Red Fox, Jack Nicolus and many other cool old dudes.

This is where Jack Dennis got his first big break guiding those guys out of Jackson Hole. He was a teenager I think. So was I.

Found this on the web:

With the original show's steady stream of celebrity guests and athletes who included Bing Crosby, Phil Harris, Peter O'Toole, Terry Bradshaw, Larry Czonka, and Ted Williams, Gowdy and his friends helped to inspire a generation of American outdoorsmen and women before the end of the show's run two decades later.

Relying on a simple recipe of exciting hunting and fishing footage, celebrity guests, exotic locations and a strong message of wildlife and fisheries conservation, "The American Sportsman" stirs the memories of hunters and anglers around the nation to this very day.

True.....................

DonCooksey
07-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Jason:

Ever fished Town Lake in Austin? I have a meeting in Austin at the end of July, and my hotel appears to be right on Town Lake, which I understand is actually the Colorado River dammed up. I read that there is some pretty decent largemouth fishing there.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/infish/lakes/townlake/lake_id.htm

Might be something to do in the evenings or morning meeting sessions that I might want to skip out of. Can it be fished from the bank, or are there canoe or boat rentals there? I hate to travel to meetings without a fly rod. :twisted:

Jasonh
07-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Don, i have fished town lake a few times with brett humphries, former kienes employee but we never did too well. There are a lot fo large bass and perch but they seem to hug the bottom and the spin/bait fisherman seem to do better than fly fisherman. It is really not fishable from the bank. There are boat and kayak rentals on the lake. Another option would be to wade the coloardo below town lake and longhorn dam if the water is not too high. I have yet to fish it but would love to try. I hear there are some large stripers in there along with perch, largemouth, and guadalupe bass. Stay in touch and if i hear of any other spots close by worth fishing i will let you know.

Jason Hartwick

DonCooksey
07-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Jason, Thanks for the information. I looked up flow levels for the Colorado at Austin, and it looked strange - apparently fluctuating from very low (85 cfs) to 3800 cfs within a day? http://www.srh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?ewx&acrt2. I'm not sure if I'm interpreting that correctly, but I saw another site that did not advise wading below the dam during the summer due to unpredictable flow fluctuations. Anyway, I'll keep looking at options. A morning spent paddling a canoe and casting around the lake will probably sound pretty good after sitting in meetings for two days, even if the fish are hard to come by.

clif wright
09-28-2005, 11:13 AM
You are reading the flows correctly.
Pretty crazy looking on the graph.
The release seems to start mid-morning and make its way down Town Lake and through Longhorn Dam a couple of hours later.
I was told by a LCRA analyst that the gage below Longhorn can show a rise of around six feet in a matter of minutes.
He also added that fall is a much better time for fishing on this stretch of the Colorado with far fewer releases.
Now what golf course was that? I'm looking to get into some good golf course fishing...

Jasonh
09-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Clif, i could tell ya but then i'd have to kill ya. It's a local country clun. Thats all the info i could give otherwiseit might get over fished. I will tell you one really good pond i fish though is thepond between the 10th hole and 18th hole at circle c golf course. Large bass that love flies on top!

Jason Hartwick

Adam Grace
09-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Jason, have you heard from Brett lately? Was his parents house damaged by the hurricane? I hope Brett and his folks are okay.

Jasonh
09-30-2005, 07:54 AM
Adam, i talked to Brett last week. His parents house is about 5 minuted from my place in Austin and we did not receive any weather from the hurricane. Not even any rain or wind.

Jason Hartwick

Adam Grace
09-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Good to hear!

Those two hurricanes have sure done some damage.

When are you comin out this way to chase the steelies Jason?