PDA

View Full Version : Tahoe Area Trip

FoothillFlyFisher
06-28-2005, 08:14 AM
First off I would like to thank Bill for hosting such a great website, and message board. I really like your updates in the last few weeks. :D

I'm new to your forum and was hoping some of the members could help me out with some information for a trip I'm planning on taking my ten year old son on this Friday till next Tuesday. He doesn't have to many fly rod fish under his belt yet, but he really loves the sport. Hooked for life!

I was thinking of heading up to the Tahoe area and trying the upper Truckee and Trout Creek, and on the way home hitting West Fork Carson or the Silver Fork of the American. I've fished the upper Truckee and Trout creek years ago, and found many smaller easy catchable trout, perfect for a young boy. But, don't know much about the Carson or Silver fork. Can anyone help me out on the curent conditions of these waters, and some good places to start, and fly's that might do the trick.

Thanks for the help.[/b]

SullyTM
06-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Foothill. Welcome to the Forum. Strap yourself in, you're in for a great ride!!! Don't reveal your secret spots, but do let us know what's biting. SullyTm

Darian
06-28-2005, 08:41 AM
If you do a Google search for fly shops in Tahoe area, you should find a number of sites for current info. Also, try Thy Rod & Thy Staff.

That said, I don't have current info on the Carson but, generally, the East Carson has bigger, native fish available and is more difficult to fish with fly. There're special reg's in effect there, also. The West Carson has more opportunities for stocked Trout in meadows or boulder strewn, pockect water....

I've always used wooly buggers or streamers in early season/high water there. Olive/black/brown wooly buggers and zonkers or goblin's. Mosquito's (larva/adult) are plentiful at this time of year. A local favorite for imitating skeeters is a small Siver Hilton.... Different flies later.

The water'll probably be too cold/high for dry fly fishing so stick to the wet stuff. DFG has, for years, stocked some very large Cutthroat brood stock into the Carson after spawning.... Catch one of these fish and your son'll really get a ride....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Foorhill,

I think the best advise is to keep moving till you find one of those streams that looks like it has come down from the runoff and take the water temp. It should be over 50 degrees and hopefully find something that is 55 or more.

Call or email the Tahoe Fly Fishing Outfitters at south Tahoe, listed on the East Carson under Streams in my Reports part of the web site.

http://www.tahoeflyfishing.com/

Tell them you are look for a small stream that is fishable for you and your son. If you can afford a half day guiding they might really be able to help you some.

If you drive up Hwy 50 from Sacramento to just past the Kyburz Lodge and then turn right you will drive up and around to the Silver Fork. Park at China Flat Campground and fish from there upstream. The best fishing now should be from 3pm till dark with dries. A #14 "anything" on 5x tippet.

PatrickM
06-28-2005, 01:41 PM
Hey Foothill,
Before you go, check the regs on the streams you plan to fish. I think all streams that flow directly into Tahoe are closed until July 1.
You might want to check out Glen Alpine Creek, which flows into Fallen Leaf Lake. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and it looked pretty good. Didn't take any water temps, though.
Good luck.