PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Unlimited lake

BigBuddha
06-27-2005, 01:13 PM
I don't know how many of you are Wilderness Unlimited members, but I fished Lake Margaret last week. Apparently it has been raining quite a bit up there lately. Although it was windy during the day It was calm in the early morning and late. Size 12 olive flash a buggers seemed to be the fly to use during those times and it seemed an erratic retrieve with long pauses triggered the bite best. Very late about 8-9 pm it calmed and there was some sort of hatch going on. A lot of surface activity, looked like it was raining, but they were all small brookies. I had a lot of refusals and a few fish on a 16 Adams, but probably needed something smaller like a 18 or 20. The weather is great mid 70's during the day and mild evenings.

Jgoding
06-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Hey Bigbuddha,

Did you catch any of those lake Margaret browns I see in all the flyers?? I've never fished it...yet but I do want to make reservations there this year. Do you know the best time of year to go?? Do you ever fish Bidwell ranch?? That's my goto spot along with LaMarr.

Jeff

BigBuddha
06-27-2005, 02:06 PM
I tried to get onto Bidwell, but it was booked up. How about the size of those perch on Pond #3!!!

Funny you should mention the big browns. On one retrieve I had a big big brown hit just as I lifted for a cast and he actually jumped partially out of the water chasing the fly. The head was huge! I tried for the next 15 casts to get it, but no luck. One of the guys tubing landed about a 20" brown on a damsel fly nymph, but I didn't hook any browns. Reserve a boat when you make a reservation, the oars and life vests are there already. I would bring an electric motor if you have one because the wind made it tough to row at times.

Jgoding
06-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Pond 3 rules!! First time there my brother and I landed 4 bass 6 lb's + from that pond (maybe '94). Wasn't fly fishing though as I rarely fly fish pond 3. Will hit the sunfish with a fly rod and of course those monster trout on the other ponds.

Of course I think a few too many people saw us pull those lunkers out and I have yet to catch any bigger fish from there since then... a few 5lbers....

Last time I saw hardly any sunfish though, a lot of floating ones.... but maybe they've recovered.... I want to go there soon and chase them trout. Maybe in 3 weeks or so....

Jeff