PDA

View Full Version : Davis Lake

Rick J
06-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Fished Davis with Don Rotsma Friday, Sat and Sunday morning. Friday was a great day - fair number of damsels going early and fair number of fish working. Don had 3 before 9. I had none before 9 but that is because Don has trained his two dogs to stand on other people's fly lines so he has first shot at any fish showing!!!! The fish were pretty easy if you could get the bug in front of them (not always easy unless you had one activley feeding on more than one bug!) Between us we likely had 15 hook ups with many more grabs and 12 to the boat - Don had one close to 5# - very fat fish adnd very strong - most took quite a bit of backing along with the fly line!! Weather was a bit windy but not bad and mid 70's. Drove down to the lake to look in the evening but saw no signs of blood midges. Where are they?

The next two days dropped off significanlty. Sat. a front had moved in - it was windier and cooler and not near the number of active fish or bugs. Don's son Jeff fished with us and we all had fish but it did not come close to equaling Friday. Sunday was even slower with not many bugs showing and fish rising sprodically. Most were really moving, searching for bugs so you really needed to guess which way and how fast they were traveling. Don landed one around 17" and I lost one as it was approching my backing! Not sure what was going on but likely weather related and barometer fluctuations?

Rick J
06-27-2005, 06:50 PM
For those of you, like me, who believe that fishing is all about numbers (I personally carry an Orvis clicker to keep accurate count) you are obviously wondering who caught the most fish! Despite my severe hadicap - Don's two dogs standing on my line and periodically trying to knock me out of the boat, I made a strong recovery and had a tremendous surge in the second and third quarters only to be nipped in the fourth!! Late in my surge, I had 3 or 4 grabs without a hookup, otherwise I would have easily surpassed Don!

I have two theories as to why I did not win this day. The first is that the fish I was fishing to were more intelligent than the fish Don was fishing to. This is supported by the fact that my highly intelligent fish would nip at my fly but not get hooked while Don's stupid fish just continually completed suicide grabs!

The second theory is that while I selected my perfect damsel imitations from my fly box, Don appeared to be taking his less lifelike flies from a jar that likely contained some exotic essence of damsel extract!

However, I am not bitter about the loss and Don need not worry that his boat plug has been sanded down to fail in the middel of the lake!!

flygolf
06-27-2005, 07:23 PM
I to often fish to more intelligent fish than my adversaries I mean partners. Good to see you didn't let it get to you, I usually resort to accidently clipping thier line or throwing thie fly box out of the boat claiming strong wind.

Darian
06-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Kinda sounds like Don's dogs may've been well paid, in advancve, for their services.... 8) Good partners, dogs.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tracy Chimenti
06-30-2005, 05:00 PM
if you like dog stories.

Was duck hunting New Year's day when my partner took his sandwich out and my dog's eyes locked right in on it. As Bud carefully unwrapped the dripping piece of food, a few mallards flew in. Bud quickly set down the sandwich, aimed, shot, and dropped both of the birds. In a flash, Moe snapped up the dagwood and launched off the bow of the boat, mouth full of meat and bread, pausing only momentarilly to completely inhale it by violently snapping his head around in big gulps, then continuing on another 50-feet to the birds. Thye're not dumb... dogs.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-30-2005, 11:12 PM
I think your dog knew he was going to get away with that one.

what a story.

Darian
06-30-2005, 11:12 PM
That's a good one Tracy..... Thanks 8) 8) 8)

GoldenStone
09-14-2005, 01:31 PM
What happened to everyone???

On July 30th (8am) I was at Davis and I saw only one other tuber around 10am)! NO other fly fishers nor bankies at Jenkins, Camp 5, Cow!.... I felt like the last (fisher-) man on earth!

Did I miss something? Anyone know what happened? Finally fished Camp 5 and didn't get a bump. Hmm-mmm.

Adam Grace
09-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Davis gets too hot during the summer. Wait for the lake to cool down a little more. The Fall should bring some better fishing.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-14-2005, 11:13 PM
I would fish Davis in May/June and then in October.

Rick J
09-22-2005, 08:16 PM
I have heard a few promising reports from Davis so am headed up this weekend to fish with Don again. This time I am bringing dog bones that I will sneak into his jacket pocket in an attempt to equalize things a bit!! Will let you know how it goes

Darian
09-22-2005, 11:42 PM
Hey Rick,.... Are you going to replace the sanded down plug for Don's boat (resulting from your last trip) :?: :?: Maybe he's replaced it already. 8) 8) Of course, Don may be placing some more suicidal Trout in appropriate spots in order to create the opportunity for a repeat performance :? :? :?

09-23-2005, 07:09 PM
Hey Rick
Try some wire leaders and Gurglers.
My unnamed friend said he took over 30 Pike there last week.One gurgler was good for about 7 fish.I didn't ask how big they were,but you may want to find out.Go get"em

Adam Grace
09-24-2005, 12:17 AM
I have tried to catch pike out of Davis but I have been skunked, maybe I was fishing at the wrong time.

Hairstacker
09-24-2005, 03:45 AM
Gurgler, eh? Topwater pike sounds like a kick. 8) Wonder if a deerhair Tap's Bug would outlast a Gurgler. . . . :)

SullyTM
09-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Adam...Don't shave the next time you're at Davis Lake. Pike like the He-Man look :lol:

Hope college life agrees with you. SullyTM

Rick J
09-26-2005, 07:20 AM
It was in the low 30's in the morning so we did not get an early start but thigs were still slow. Don had one nice fish on but I managed to cast over his fish and get my line tangled in the mess and he lost it :lol: .

I had one grab - again must have been one of those intelligent fish! The dogs stayed home.

Quite a few blood midges and callibaetis hatching but no surface activity and we hit it hard with various patterns. A few folks on the lake and no one seemed to be doing much. But the wind died down and it got really nice on the lake so all in all not a bad way to spend a day!!

That night went into Reno with Don and saw Creedence - they were awesome!

Adam Grace
09-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the advice Thom :P