PDA

View Full Version : Lower Klamath River in September

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-26-2005, 11:42 PM
http://www.kiene.com/reports/rivers/images/brucefish.jpg

If you want to try to get a picture like this of yourself with a wild lower Klamath River Steelhead you better start calling veteran guide Bruce Slightom here soon to reserve a spot in late September.

Bruce's email: mothgils@cox.net

Digger
06-27-2005, 11:11 AM
I wonder what this fall's run will be like, considering that the 'big kill off' occured 3 yrs ago.
I happened to be there those couple days and witnessed that calamity. What a shame.
I would assume that the salmon run might be pretty thin, but what about the steelies? I didn't see as many steelhead littered on the banks.

Rick J
06-28-2005, 06:48 AM
I don't think the steelhead were that hard hit. That being said you never know about the runs on the Klamath. The half pounder run seemed off last year so maybe the adults will be off this year. I still can't think of many places I would rather be in September - a Klamath adult is a very hot fish!!! And if anyone can get you into them it will be Bruce. I saw Bruce hook a steelhead in his bathtub once :lol:

Digger
08-10-2005, 02:38 PM
just looking at the water temps recently and they're hovering around 70 degrees! Yikes...
I hope the releases from Lewiston will cool it down.
I've not yet seen any scheduled releases posted yet. I think it usually starts before Labor day?

Rick J
08-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Every year folks indicate the temps are very high but for as long as I can remember the Klamath River has always run warm in the fall and I think the fish have adapted some to these higher temps. That is not to say you should play a fish to death. Half poundrs can be brought in very quickly and adults can also be landed expediently by putting maximum pressure on them. A bit of effort spent on reviving fish that need it will go a long way to making sure fish you hook will swim away and be available for the next guy

Adam Grace
08-10-2005, 07:32 PM
I fished the Lower Klamath last year with Rick J for the first time. I loved our trip. The jet sledding was tons of fun and a great way to see a lot of different water. We caught a good amount of HP's and had a blast with our spey rods.

The Lower Klamath is PERFECT for spey fishing.

Both Rick and I caught one or two decent fish apeice, Rick landed one about five pounds, mine was nearly three pounds. The 3 pounder was a nice surprise compared to the smaller HP's that we had been catching.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/klamath8-2004010.jpg
My fight with the 3lber in a beautiful large tailout.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/klamath8-2004016.jpg
The wonerdful steelie which made my trip.

We would swing size #8-12 beaded brindle bugs, assassins and other similar patterns.

I had tons of fun, I hope to convince Rick to invite me again... :wink: :wink:

I hope to make at least two trips up there during the run, if school and work permits.

Great fishing :!:

Jasonh
08-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Hey Adam nice post and pictures. Looks like you stole that glove from Michael Jackson. It's only fishing, your not doing the moonwalk!

Jason Hartwick

Adam Grace
08-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Jason, I would "Beat It" but "I Don't Stop 'til I Get Enough", I guess I'm just "Bad". "The Way You Make Me feel" makes me "Take A Look In The Mirror" and see that "You Are Not Alone".

That glove gives me a "Thriller" and generates a feeling of being a "Smooth Criminal" when I land steelies with my spey rod. 8)

(Moonwalk...Leg kick & grab of the crotch) EEEEE HEE HEE...OOOW :!:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

David Lee
08-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Jason, I would "Beat It" but "I Don't Stop 'til I Get Enough", I guess I'm just "Bad". "The Way You Make Me feel" makes me "Take A Look In The Mirror" and see that "You Are Not Alone".

That glove gives me a "Thriller" and generates a feeling of being a "Smooth Criminal" when I land steelies with my spey rod. 8)

(Moonwalk...Leg kick & grab of the crotch) EEEEE HEE HEE...OOOW :!:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh , my ....... I knew it was only a matter of time 'till you went 'round the bend :o

My condolences to your parents :P

David

Rick J
08-11-2005, 06:16 AM
Hi Adam,
Hope I can make it over for the mini-clave the third weekend in August - we can discuss your schedule and try to pick a weekend we are both free

Just got Anderson's light 1204 spey that I have been playing around with some - should be a fun rod up on the Klamath

Best regards,
Rick

Adam Grace
08-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Rick that would be great to go out again.

That light spey rod of Gary's would be perfect for the HP's, very nice.

Digger
08-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Adam, where about on the lower K were you in that photo. Is that just below Weitchpec a ways?

Adam Grace
08-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Ask Rick J, I'm not sure where that is, pretty sure that it's below Weitchpec.

Rick J
08-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Just above Johnson's at the Pecwan Bridge

Adam Grace
08-14-2005, 08:52 PM
That tailout was KILLER!

I love that river. Perfect Spey Water.

I loved our trip.

Bye the way that tailout was perfect, it required a long cast and it had a perfect even flow.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-14-2005, 09:19 PM
You need a jet boat to fish the lower Klamath River which is prime in September.

You can get a StreamTime map and drive the river by car from the mouth of the Trinity River upstream to Interstate 5.

We like the area from Orleans upstream to Happy Camp in October too.

You can drive the road along the river up there and park, hiking down to the runs.

On this BB Rick Jorgensen and Bruce Slightom are the Klamath River experts.

I have fished it off and on for 30 years but at the shop Joe Shirshac and Noe Fierros are real knowledgable. They both usually work at the shop on Saturdays if you want to come by for some good advise.

Digger
08-22-2005, 11:27 AM
just looking at the water temps recently and they're hovering around 70 degrees! Yikes...
I hope the releases from Lewiston will cool it down.
I've not yet seen any scheduled releases posted yet. I think it usually starts before Labor day?

I just saw where the Lewiston-Trinity releases have been posted.
Scheduled to start Aug 28th, Sunday afternoon.