PDA

View Full Version : Lake Almanor report

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Hey Bill,
Just thought I would pass some info down your way. Fishing has been GOOD!!!!
The Hex is in full swing. Fishing has been tough, but nice fish have been taken.
Use intermediate line with 9-9.5' leaders and 12-16" Tippet, Burk's hex Nymph, Mercer's Rag Hex, Andrew's Saddleback Hex Nymph and Milt's Nymph all produced fish.

Top water fish with emerger or paracripple pattern. Look for cruising fish and then cast to them. Some nights the fish go off on the bugs and some nights have been slow. PATIENCE is key in fishing this exciting hatch.
Lincoln Gray

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-30-2005, 11:31 PM
I just found this report on the NCFFB:

Scott,

I don't know if it is the best spot but we were right at the cove next to the boat ramp. Take 89, about 8 or 9 miles toward the dam. It is the launch ramp is just before the dam. We started fishing about 5:30, I saw the first Hex about 6:00 and a few more for the next couple of hours. About 8:45 they really started coming off. I fished the nymph until about 8:00 then switched to the dry when I saw the first Hex taken by a fish ( the Grebe's were very good at getting the few that hatched before then, including chasing my fly a couple of times). I talked with one guy at he said he got five on an emerger pattern.

Dennis

Adam Grace
07-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Gregg and I fished Almanor on Wednesday night. We both caught fish. I caught two scrappy smallmouth bass around 7pm on a hex nymph and a type 3 sinking line.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/smallie.jpg

About 8:30 the Hex's started emerging in fair numbers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/insects/IMGP2294.jpg

The hatch was crazy, giant yellow mayflies everywhere. Their shucks littered the water's surface creating tons of little dimples. That was the best Hex hatch that I have ever experienced. Funny enought one of the other fly fishermen told us that twice as many bugs emerged a couple day before. No wonder why my two smallmouths had huge bellies.

Smallmouth bass and trout were not the only creatures feasting on the huge mayflies. There were some type of black and white waterfowls chasing the naturals and the fur and feathered imitations. I also caught a 16" sucker fish which put up a good fight. Bats also came out in large number to fatten their bellies.

Gregg and I only managed one trout each, Gregg's was much larger than mine. In fact Gregg's trout was the largest trout that he has ever landed, and he caught it during his first Hex hatch 8) Very Cool 8)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP2296.jpg

Here's Gregg with his largest trout ever.

We enjoyed ourselves.

If you get a chance check out the Hex hatch at Almanor, very fun.

MSP
07-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Nice job Gregg and Adam, Sometimes just being on the water when the conditions are right like in your pictures the fish just get into the way! 8) Are you sure that fish Gregg has was taken before the one hour after sunset rule?

Jasonh
07-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Looks like you and Gregg had a good time. Nice looking smallmouth. I have been trying to target those here in texas but have only caught a few around 10-12", they are great fighters though. Thanks for the report and cool pics.

Jason Hartwick

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Great photos you guys.

Adam, you need to blow up and frame that one of you with the chunky Smallmouth. It is an excellent picture.

I will probaby snag it and put it somewhere on the web site.

This is so cool with reports and pictures too.

Thanks

Darian
07-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Sounds like everybody had a good time.... Especially Gregg. Ya know, Adam, a framed picture of Gregg and that Mayfly would make a great present for a very good friend..... :D :D Just a suggestion. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hairstacker
07-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Adam, GREAT report and pictures! Those are some nice fish you guys got into. I agree with Bill, that is a very nice picture of you with that smallmouth. That picture really brings out the markings on that fish very nicely. 8) I'd like to get up there one of these days. A co-worker friend of mine owns a campground on that lake, and she tells me it's a very nice area to go camping. Your pictures tell me why she has "regulars" who come back year after year. 8)

David Lee
07-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Cut EVERYTHING/one out of the photos except the Smallmouth -

Beauty is as beauty does ... :twisted:

David :P

Adam Grace
07-02-2005, 10:30 AM
David, I didn't even shave for the picture :lol:

Gregg's new camera takes a great picutre. My co-workers at Best Buy liked the picture as well. Oe of them even commented about the great colors captured in the picture.

Digital cameras ROCK :!:

The only way to go.