PDA

View Full Version : Affordable boat wanted

Gloomis
06-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Hey Guys and Gals,
I am looking for a kayak, canoe, pontoon from 8 to 12 feet long for mainly lake and slow moving rivers.
Any help would be appreciated. I can pay up to $500
Thanks,
Gloomis

Eugene Graham
06-25-2005, 08:55 AM
take a look at the Coleman Journey Canoes. They are 15 1/5' long and two can fish comfortable in them. I am using one of these, and put it on the roof of my car. You can buy them new for $400-$500. Sam's Club sometimes has them for sale for $300 including paddles and a basic cartop kit. I also have put an electric motor on it hooked to a motor mount made just for a canoe. I bought my motor mount for $30 off EBay, and you can buy them localy for $100. The car top kit goes for about $50 if you do not have a roof rack. I am able to put it on top of my SUV by myself as it is light. Bill Kiene and I have taken it out to a few places.

With the electric, it is so easy to maneuver and fish at the same time. I would reccomend you extend the power cable length so you can put the motor towards the from if you are fishing by yourself though.

Here is a like to the Coleman website
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=66001&SourcePage=category_main.asp

Todd
07-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Check out my pram ad in the classified section here. A Keaton pram is top of the line. will not sink even with you in it. Comes with motor and wheels. Can fish the american and lakes no problem. Very stable and light. Photos can be emailed.

Todd 916 995 2580

Hairstacker
07-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Gloomis, you can buy several different makes and models of inflatable kayaks for about $200 on down brand new. They all inflate in about 5 minutes with a double-action hand pump, they are VERY stable, you can carry them with one hand, they easily fit into the smallest car trunk, and you can launch 'em alone just about anywhere. Just something else to consider. . . .

Todd
07-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Gloomis

All due respect to hairstacker, but fast moving hooks and inflatables boats could present a problem? Be careful if you go that route.

Hairstacker
07-21-2005, 12:40 AM
Todd, you're right, hooks and inflatables don't play well together. :D Having said that, this is my third season fly fishing out of an inflatable kayak and I have yet to sink a hook into it. It will probably happen sooner or later but I'm not at all concerned about it. The model I use has 5 air chambers, two of which are main chambers -- one on the inside and one on the outside. Anyway, one time I arrived at the Delta with a broken seam on one of the two main chambers. I decided to fish out of it anyway with just one main chamber inflated. Other than being slower, it held me up just fine and I continued fly fishing out of it most of that day. Thus, I know if I were to hook a chamber, it won't be any big deal. And they are darn easy to patch. 8) Not suggesting at all that an inflatable kayak is in every way the best way to go. But for popping for largemouths on the edges of the Delta, it is for me. It gets me into places that most boats can't go. I've had so much fun with mine that I will always have an inflatable kayak in my arsenal. To each his own of course. :wink:

Darian
07-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey Loomis,.... I have a canoe and a TPL pram (now Keaton, I believe)... 8) 8)

While there're certain specific advantages to owning yaks, canoes or inflatables, they're always limited in some way when compared with a pram.... :? A light car-top pram will do almost anything any of the others will do plus you can easily stand up and cast without having to worry about turning yourself over. A pram has much more capacity for you, your gear, etc. 8) 8)

Either a yak and canoe can be fished in slow current when anchored correctly. Drifting might be a problem for them. I never had a problem drifting or anchoring with my pram. I fished fast water in the lower American, Eel, Smith and Feather Rivers without a motor and never experienced a problem. Also, from my perspective, prams are more comfortable over the course of a days hard fishing than any of the others.... 8) 8) 8)

A pram is almost as fast any canoe when rowing and an electric trolling motor will generally fit on the transom of a pram without any additional brackets and the space available for battery storage is larger than a canoe.... 8) 8) Not available for yak's.

All of them share one disadvantage. That is after a hard days fishing, they must be lifted up on a roof rack and tied or fastened down unless a trailer is used. :( :( :(

Actually, your choice should be based on the type of fishing you do.... 8)