PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand "lumo" fly

Langenbeck
06-23-2005, 09:25 PM
This is the fly I used almost exclusively at night while in New Zealand. It represents their fresh water smelt. Tied on a Mustad 9672 Size 8 with a red & green poly tail, a green poly back and the shank is wrapped with a lumo material. You charge the fly periodically with a flashlight to keep in glowing.
When the fish hit this they really strike hard!! The locals refer to these as doll flies.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/gordonl/NZDollFly.jpg

Tracy Chimenti
06-23-2005, 10:25 PM
I'm glad you showed us that. The whole time i thought the lumo-fly was a woolybugger type streamer with a luminescent plastic skirt pulled over the front of the body. That was a popualr fly over there on the deltas at night.

Thanks, Tracy

David Lee
06-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Gordon -

That has to be the least likely fly to sell-out at the shop . Just goes to show that fish want what they want .... not what WE want to throw !!

Great job on the trip of a lifetime !!!!

David

Darian
06-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Does that fly give you an idea about the size of the brain of large Trout :?: :?: :?: Wonder what Ernie Schweibert would have to say about it :?: :?: :lol:

David Lee
06-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Ernest would say " Those magnificent creatures rose to the crumbs of my baugette with a touch of Brie on them" .

Then .... he would look at my LC-13 head and puke .

Sorry , Mr. S. -

David

Langenbeck
06-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Here is the real proof that the "lumo" fly does work.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/gordonl/NZDollFlyCloseUp.jpg

Adam Grace
06-24-2005, 09:29 PM
Gordon, I think those NZ trout are smoking something very potent to be eating a fly like that :P

David Lee
06-25-2005, 12:49 AM
Gordon, I think those NZ trout are smoking something very potent to be eating a fly like that :P

Hmmmmm .... kind of like those pesky Chico-State students , perhaps ??

:P :P David :P :P

Darian
06-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Ya know, the more I look at that fly, the more I realize that Gordon was probably handicapping himself by including the red/green materials in it. :?

You could probably catch those Trout, at night, with nothing more than the lumo-body on the hook.... 8) 8) 'Ow 'bout a few strands o green lumo for a topping, a bit o red/orange lumo under that for a tied down wing/tail :?: :?: Same body.... 8) Then the whole fly'd be flourescent 8) 8) 8)

Just think what size Trout Gordon might've caught had he done that... :shock: