PDA

View Full Version : Favorite trout fishery?

Adam Grace
06-21-2005, 11:12 PM
What is your favorite "out of state" trout fishery guys?

Mine is Utah's Green River. I took a trip thanks to Bill & Marilyn Kiene to the Green river about 3 years ago with Jeff Putnam and about 6 other fly shop customers. We had a great time. The fishing was great. We hit the cicada hatch and ripped some lips using large dry flies.

I really enjoyed the Green River.

06-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Adam,The Green is a fun river. I have fished it 8 times,allways in April. those fish love to eat in the snow.Mostly on #20's. Don't go on Easter break though.My favorite is walking it. I have floated it 3 times,but not near as much fun as stalking your own.

DonCooksey
06-22-2005, 04:29 PM
My favorite out of state river has to be my old home water on the Au Sable mainstream in Michigan. Floating on the river around 10:30 pm to midnight this time of year when Hex is in the air is pretty hard to beat. Here is a 20" brown that I caught on June 22 last year in front of our old cabin. Too bad I could not get back there this year at this time but hope to later in the season.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/DonCooksey/P6220028a.jpg

SullyTM
06-23-2005, 07:27 AM
Hey Don, I'm a Michigander also :!: Grew up in Lansing and the Grand River has it all: Bass, Walleye, trout, gar, salmon etc. But the Au Sable can't be beat...I miss the Water, Winter, Wonderland, especially summers in the UP. SullyTM

Adam Grace
06-23-2005, 11:24 AM
Sturmer, I loved to wade the Green myself. Boats are fun but they can't beat stalking the fish and doing everything on your own. Fun river.

Rick J
06-23-2005, 02:27 PM
Hands down it has to be Silver Creek out of Sunvalley, Idaho - especially during th trico spinner fall in August. Don Rotsma and I have been going back the for the last 25 years. Last few years it has been hit hard with both fish and bugs having a major drop in population but it is back!!! Don just got back from a 4 day trip there and it was great - the "big"fish are not there in numbers but medium fish are and they will grow quickly

DonCooksey
06-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Sully: I've run into a lot of former Michiganders here in California over the years, even one who turned out to have gone to grade school through high school with me. I also miss all of the Michigan lakes and streams, but I prefer them during the time of year when they are still in a liquid state. I've grown a little cold on the winter wonderland theme after 27 years on the west coast. 8)

Nip Hadlock
06-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Some of my favorite times earlier in life came on New England waters...but I agree....living out here for so long spoils you...big water, bigger fish and no winter, (unless you want it!).
Gotta say that I love the Rogue though...when you get it right it's really right! Arriving at the Holy Water and seeing fish flying out of the water everywhere is thrilling... Love it!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Mine would be the Pit River in mid-September down by Deep Creek camp ground.

My best stream trout fishing has been there with my brother Dick and friends when the Isonychia mayflies were emerging.

David Lee
06-25-2005, 01:14 AM
The Pit don't count as out of state , Bill .... only out of this world -It's the BEST Trout stream I've ever fished .

There is a small feeder creek to the Boise River , outside Atlanta , Idaho , called the Black Warrior . It has Bull Trout , Whitefish , and Rainbows that are a SCREAM -I fished it over two days in the early 80s ..... Wish I was there now .

David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-25-2005, 08:37 AM
Opps..........out of state?...................Silver Creek.

It is real small and real pretty.

Jasonh
06-27-2005, 06:39 AM
I would have to go with the Henry's Fork Harriman ranch water. Its dry fly fishing at its finest. While you will not catch trout in huge numbers, the ones you get are priceless. Rarley less than 16" and frequently around 20". Large rainbows caught on dry lies that will accept nothing but a perfect presentation. Its the holy grail of trout fishing!

Jason Hartwick

metalhead
07-03-2005, 07:22 PM
I have two (2) the first is the Cowichan River just below Cowichan Lake on Vancouver Island. Excellent brown trout fishing and great coho fly fishing in the fall.

The second is the 'Holy Water' on the Rogue River just above Shady Grove. There are 20 to 30" rainbows just below the dam. It is catch and release and heavy patrolled by a local fly club and Oregon Fish&Game.

Rick J
07-04-2005, 10:47 AM
I also would have picked Henry's Fork but it is not the same fishery it was in the 70's and 80's - it has really been hit hard and the few times I have been back it just isn't the same - the fish just aren't there like the use to be!

Still my best memories of trout are from there. One year 4 of us were down in the ranch area and bugs and fish were everywhere. We could do no wrong - a really great day fishing. The next day bright and early we were there (our last day) and so were the fish and bugs and in four hours of fishing we did not get touch!! Also one of my most memorable days fishing, just not catching. That's what keeps me coming back!!

MSP
07-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Gotta be the Madison between Quake Lake and Ennis :shock:

Rob
11-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Now that we live in Utah.
One of my New Favorite out of stake rivers is the YUBA !! :wink:

Bill Quinn
11-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Armstrong Spring Creek is a kick.

101fish
03-01-2006, 11:45 PM
The lakes around Kamloops, British Columbia. BIG trout, HUGE fight. Unbeatable.

SullyTM
03-02-2006, 07:54 AM
The Au Sable River in Michigan...Hopefully, soon to be a regular fishing destination for my rigs. SullyTM

DonCooksey
03-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Hey Thom, are you moving back there? What is your favorite part of the AuSable? Mainstream (Holy Water), South Branch, North Branch? I like the catch-and-release section of the South Branch best for wading (Durant's Castle or similar pull-outs), but its tough to beat the Mainstream in a boat at midnight during a Hex hatch! I'll try to get back there in late June this year for that event.

SullyTM
03-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Don...The family is giving it serious consideration. Any section of the ASR is good for me. Been over 35 years since I fished it so I'm sure some of it has changed :D

Another great body of water is the Grand River which meanders through Lansing which is where I grew up. Bass, walleye, trout, chinook, steelhead, carp, gar, bluegill, catfish...Oh my, what am I waiting for!?

Thom