PDA

View Full Version : Pentax Optio WP

Gregg
06-20-2005, 02:14 PM
The little lady & I decided to splurge on an early wedding present, so we ordered up the Pentax Optio WP last week. It is one hell of a camera for around $350, especially with the waterproof feature. Apparently it can be submerged up to 5 feet for 1/2 hour and take photos or a video clip... As you can see, the clarity is amazing...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/gjshaw/home/IMGP0041.jpg

I might even take a fishing picture sometime.
P.S. - that's me on the far left.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-23-2005, 06:42 PM
I think I feel one coming on for me too.

I need a digital video camera ($1500) too before my next trip to Campeche for baby tarpon in August.

Adam Grace
07-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Gregg's new WP takes a great picture and it's WATERPROOF :!:

You cannot get any better than waterproof for fishermen like ourselves.

The camera retails for around $350, quite the steal for a camera you could swim with up to 3' under water. The WP takes a 5 megapixel picture which can be enlarged to a 16" x 20" picture size or can be cropped in tons of different ways and enlarged to a superb 8" x 10" picture.

Digital photography is allowing more people to take great pictures without the expense of buying film and developing it. With a digital cameras you can instantly see if your picture has turned out alright, if not you can simply delete the picture and try again. You can show your pictures on your TV monitor or show it on your computer's high definition monitor with out the printing costs of printing the pictures onto a smaller 4x6" pieces of paper.

I won't even get into the different types of picture adjustment which can be made using your computer.

Digital cameras ROCK :!:

HC
07-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Gregg, Is it rated for the salt water? If so it would be the hands down winner for fishing the surf zone. Every thing gets a soaking there. Any info appreciated. HC

MSP
07-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Hey Adam, good info, but I think the ability to view the Date and Time of your photos is right up there. If one would take at least a picture or two on each outing and copying them to a folder thay have GREAT fishing LOG! You could also place comments in the properties of the photo. The last part is for folks my age and older :shock:

Adam Grace
07-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Good point Mike.

Old guys like you need all the help they can get :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-18-2005, 09:21 AM
I advised my aunt to buy my uncle a Pentax OptioWR.

I saw it in person and it is really small and wonderful.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Now our fishing buddy Don Kohn just brought in his new Penatax OptioWP.

Man, I have to buy one now.

This is by far the best little 5 MP digital camera for fly fishers that is water proff to ~5 feet deep.

They run $300-$400 depending on where you find them.

PaulC
08-21-2005, 02:50 PM
HC,
I know quite a few guys using the new model and old model in the surf on a near daily basis. Noone has complained of problems as of yet.
Got some good underwater shots with my friends WP in Alaska this year.
Definitely a cool feature without having a bulky dive rated plastic housing.
-Paul

Tracy Chimenti
08-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Must have been a great party. Visene will cure those red eyes!

Tracy (Raeanne's old neighbor)

Gregg
08-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Hey all-

We've been shooting tons of photos while on our honeymoon in Kauai with the Pentax. We fly in late late tonight so I'll post what I can in the next few days... This camera is AMAZING underwater. We shot a couple hundred photos while snorkeling and got some great pics. Also... while it was on conventional gear, RaeAnn pulled in a 16-17 lb yellow fin! The biggest of the day, until another passenger hauled in the 7ft shark that was snacking on everything we tried to reel in! Great photos to follow.