PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone FF info

LostInTheFog
06-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Some friends and I are going to Yellowstone at the end of the month, and I've been searching the internet for sites such as this one where I can get reasonably frequent and up-to-date information on the state of fishing in the park, as well as the Henry's Fork, South Fork, Madison, and Gallatin, etc.
The problem is, I can't seem to find ANYWHERE where fly fishers are actively sharing information about the region.

Are we here at Kiene's (and at other boards covering this region) just that darn friendly and cyber-gregarious?

Or are fishers in the Yellowstone region just that tight-lipped?

Or am I missing something?

Whatever the case, if any of you Kiene-ites know of a forum or bulletin board or a fly shop with an active reports section for the Yellowstone region, I would appreciate you posting them here.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Jasonh
06-20-2005, 12:50 PM
LITF, you are not going to find that much info online with good reports. Your best bet would be to call a shop and talk to someone personally. My dad and i have fished the west yellowstone and henrys fork areas the last two summers and have taken different guides. As far and guides and shops are concerned the best experience we have had has been with Craig Matthews shop, Blue Ribbon Flies. They are extremely frindly and helpful and have a great group of guides. If you give them a call, i am sure they would gladly help you out. Their shop is a lot like Bill's with friendly service and up to date information. Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy the trip.

Jason Hartwick

bp
06-20-2005, 02:08 PM
LITF

have had the pleasure of fishing in Cody a couple of times and been by the North Fork Anglers. pretty comprehensive knowledge of the waters throughout all the local drainages. as they are just outside the East Gate of YStone, they should have as much info as anyone. you can try their site www.northforkanglers.com. i'd call and see if you can get some live help. they've been friendly as any and more helpful than most.

bp

Brian
06-20-2005, 03:07 PM
I just got back from there. The Firehole is on FIRE! Madison and Gibbon are so so at present but should be in great shape in a few weeks. Try contacting the following shops in West Yellowstone
Arricks http://www.arricks.com
Bud Lillies http://www.budlillys.com/budlillys/
and http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/
also Jackson Hole has good info on the rivers there
http://www.flyfishingjacksonhole.com/
and Jack Dennis sports www.jackdennis.com

Have fun and watch your manners I more than once heard someone get warned about invading their space. Conversation overheard...."what the hell are you doing? Do I have to go get my gun??" I guess it's a Montana thing.

Brian
06-20-2005, 03:09 PM
excerpt from Dennis Sports Fishing Report - by Bruce James
report dated 20 june 2005
HENRY’S FORK

The Henry's Fork has been fishing fairly good. Flavs and caddis are the name of the game on most of the river. Geen Drake patterns in 14 - 16 will usually work well for the Flav hatch. The Peacock Caddis in 14 - 18 covers a lot of the caddis activity.

Drop into our store and see us for "the right stuff".

YELLOWSTONE PARK STREAMS

It's prime time on the Firehole and will likely continue that way for at least a couple of weeks. Most days there is good hatch activity and on cloudy days it can be very good. Nymph fishing is still very important. Prince Nymphs, Yellow Copper Johns and Chartreuse Copper Johns are all doing well. On some days the PMD hatch is strong. Most PMD patterns will work well, just use them in about a #14 because the hatch there is larger than it is in many areas. Peacock Caddis or Brown Elk Caddis in #16 will usually cover most caddis activity.

YELLOWSTONE PARK LAKES

Today is opening day on Yellowstone Lake and it should be great. I'll get you a report once the fishermen have gotten back from their day of fishing. Black and Olive Wooly Buggers always work well there. Spin fishermen should have some gold Jakes Spin - A - Lure.

Lewis Lake has been fishing well since it's opening on Memorial Day weekend. Soon we should start to see good dry fly action there. Right now you need some Kiwis, Clousers and Black Wooly Buggers.

Brian
06-20-2005, 03:10 PM
And the 15 June report from High Country Flies http://www.flyfishingjacksonhole.com/fishing_report-yellowstone.htm

Yellowstone National Park Fishing Report
June 15, 2005

On the Firehole, Gibbon, and Madison rivers inside Yellowstone National Park little has changed since our last report. And for the things that have changed, it has all been for the good. Water levels have come down and all three rivers are in prime condition. Hatches have become very consistent. Now if the weather would cooperate, we couldn’t ask for much more.

Despite the unruly weather, the fishing has been excellent. Not only have the hatches been consistent but they have also been right on time. Caddis, Pale Morning Duns, Little Yellow Sally’s, have followed the traditional hatch chart and are happening as I write. A few Salmonflies have shown up in the Firehole Canyon and they should come out in force the first couple of consecutive warm days. Remember due to the fact that the Firehole winds it way through geo-thermal areas, its early season is relatively short. By Mid-July water temperatures can reach the 70’s and the fishing will deteriorate until cooler fall weather sets in. For this reason one should not dawdle, especially when it is fishing so well. Fish it now!

Another Yellowstone happening comes about today, June 15th when Yellowstone Lake opens to fishing. Although in the last couple of years the fish populations have seemed to decline, the average size fish has definitely gone up. It is not uncommon to see 20-plus inch fish. Try Mohair Leeches in black, brown, and blood (burgundy), on Type III Sink-Tip or Full-Sink line.

LostInTheFog
06-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Some new ones in there. Reports when I get back.