PDA

View Full Version : Hakai Beach Resort - Report

Jay Murakoshi
06-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Hakai Beach Resort

Just got in from a weeks fishing up in the northern country.
Yes, I did say northern country.
Spent a week fishing out of the Hakai Beach Resort. Located about 250 miles north of Vancouver, BC. The weather was fantastic with temperatures in the high 60's with only 20 minutes of rain one day. There is one hell of alot of water to fish. As the season progresses, there will be alot more salmon in the rivers and rock species to go with it.
Here's just a short summary of the trip. Got into a couple of Chinook Salmon around 28lbs and 17lbs. Fished for Dolly's one day and quit because I got tired of hooking and releasing so many. The cutts weren't in the river yet. Also caught 4 nice Starry Flounder's and spotted some small halibut below the boat. Lot's of dungeness crabs all over the area.
Decided to rock fish one evening and went to a place they call north beach. The "blackies" as they call them were jumping all over the place. After releasing about 100 each, (and that's no lie) we decided to end the day looking for the chinook along the beach/kelp line - didn't find any.
Fishing until 10:30pm is great, just enough light to get back. As the weeks get longer so will the daylight.

I understand that the fishing gets better in August and September.

We are looking at our schedule right now and will probably be scheduling a salt water clinic toward the end of August and first part of September 2006. Stay tuned for more information.

I shot 28 rolls of film and around 500 digital shots. I'll post some photo's later

Jay

David Lee
06-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Right !!

I have a stinky feeling that Darian and I will be CHUMMING of the bow of a boat up there soon ( At least I will ..... 8) ) ....... :!:

What are the rates , and how does mid-August look to you fellas ????????

David

k.hanley
06-20-2005, 10:09 AM
The Pacific Northwest is my Valhala on earth. It was fun seeing how Jay took to the northern game. It was his first time in Canadian waters. The place is spectacular with firs, spruce, rocky shores, and white sand beach and island habitat. Eagles soared. Otters swam. There was certainly no lack of gamefish either... Pacific salmon, numerous species of rockfish, flatfish, plus dolly's and cutt's.

The chinook and sockeye were just starting to arrive. Later in the summer the place will explode with coho and pinks. Typical cycle of the northwest region.

We'll be conducting two weeks of clinics there next year in late August and early September. It would be great to share the place with you folks.
Cheers, Ken :D