PDA

View Full Version : Last cast on a creek

Bob Scheidt
06-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Went camping with my wife. It got down to 32 degrees and my air matress leaked a little or my tiny body (yeah right) squeezed the air out the pores. We lasted one night, and I did a little fishin. Caught a few brookies and one golden hybrid. The golden was full of color. Not sure if it's spawning season or the 42 degree water was accountable for the rich colors.
Getting past quittin time I threw a little far and my Stimulator was in the brush. So I yanked, leader broke and the Stim sprang from the brush into the eddy. It swirled and swirled forever and I stayed watchin, Finally a little trout drilled it and took it down.
Good luck keepin your leader off the water for that long and keepin the fly in the eddy forever. But as the flows drop I think that fish will come up again, just alot sooner I hope.
Bob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-19-2005, 11:29 AM
If we knew the water temp in all the streams and rivers we could really predict the fishing better.

For trout they seem to get more active after the water reaches the mid-50s and then are very active till it gets real low and clear in mid-summer . When and if it gets up to 70 degrees they slow down and are harder to catch again.

I think trout are most active around 60 degrees.

OregonSalmon
06-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Bill,
There must be a trout in my family woodpile for I'm most active at 63 degrees with a kiss of onshore breeze.
My cruelty always comes out on the first day of summer to those languishing in Sacramento. I'd tell you guys to kick my *ss but should be too hot to fight down thar'. Very good fighting temp here in the coastal hills of Oregon; 72. Think I'll go down to the tavern and take a swing at a logger.

Darian
06-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Geller,..... Have you heard any of the songs Ray Stevens sang :?: :?: The area you're in kinda reminds me of one of many of his titled, The Haircut Song.... 8) In this tune, he warns that we should be carefull to have our hair cut in places where we know what the outcome might be. :? :? Of course, all of his songs are country/deliverance settings.... :lol: :lol:

One of the places was where he gets his hair cut by a "born again barber".... :? The barber is scary enough that when asked what he did about making a living he confesses, "I run this church for loggers".... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another reminder to be carefull who you take a swing at is the Monty Python, Lumberjack" song.... :lol: :lol: