PDA

View Full Version : Airflo delta and long delta spey

Jasonh
06-15-2005, 08:56 PM
Just wanted to get some opinions on these two lines. I now there is about a 10 to 15 foot differance in head length but how do they compare? Is the long delta a better line if you do not want to worry about shooting more line? Just curious? Thanks.

Jason Hartwick

Adam Grace
06-16-2005, 02:58 AM
Jason I have fished both styles of lines. Both lines are great for different fishing and casting styles.

I prefer the shorter "delta" line for heavy sink tips and shooting the line for distance.

The "Long Delta" is nice for the use of short lighter tips but much better as a floater. The longer belly allows you to pick up and cast a longer length of line without stripping in a whole bunch of line first.

Both lines feel great when properly matched with a rod. Very slick and duable coatings.

Jasonh
06-16-2005, 06:58 AM
Thanks Adam. I was considering getting the long delta for a floater for grease line steelhead fishing. From what i have head those airflo lines shoot and cast like no other. By the way, what the heck are you doing up so late! Hopefully drinking dehydrating beverages!

Jason Hartwick

Rick J
06-16-2005, 07:30 AM
Like Adam I really like the AIRFLO lines - they don't shoot quite as well as the original ones that had a thinner running line but these origingal ones were breaking at the junction so....

That being said I am not a huge fan of the mid belly lines though I used them for awhile. I prefer long belly lines such as the xlt for floating stuff and often for tips depedning on the water and casting room. The short belly lines are great for shooting ahd throwing heavy tips and big flies especially with limited casting room. But I think the xlt can do anything I can do with a mid belly line and allow me to pick up a longer line without stripping than the mid belly lines. If you do not need that casting length for the water you are fishing then mid bellies would fit the bill but the xlt will cast short or long with relative ease.

Adam Grace
06-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Jason the XLT is also a very nice line for greased line fishing. The XLT is much better fo carrying 85% of the total length of your cast. I like the XLT but I can shoot the Long Delta more. I do have to shoot more line with the LD than the XLT to acheive the same distance but I like to shoot line while using a shorter stroke.

Yes, I was out late at the bars last night. I had to check out the board before going to sleep.

Rick J
06-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Adam - gald to see you have your priorities right - need to keep those bars in business!! But fishing and related stuff still comes first!!