PDA

View Full Version : Hakai Beach lodge

Jay Murakoshi
06-14-2005, 10:06 PM
We made it to the lodge this morning. The weather is great sort of like the Monterey weather. The area is fantastic and the float plane ride was great. We flew into one lumber camp and landed in this finger of a lake.
Got into a couple of fish today and hitting the water early in the morning. Right now it's after 10pm and the sun is still up. It should get dark around 10:45pm
I think this is the place where all you people who like fishing this type of water should come.
There is salmon and other species around here right now. Got a couple of bass this evening before dinner.

Gotta run and put some other rods together

Jay

David Lee
06-14-2005, 10:25 PM
Details , oh great one ....

WHERE are you ??? Now that you've DESTROYED any chance of one of us getting a "BIG" Roosterfish , please let us know exactly what corner of Shangra-La you're staying ....

I would think up north (B.C.????) , but the Bass thing has me stumped -

Miss ya , David

Jay Murakoshi
06-15-2005, 08:01 PM
David,

Hakai Beach Resort is located 250 miles north of Vancouver, BC. It's located in the Hakai pass area. There will be photo's posted on the site when I return. Alot of salt water bass which are called kelp bass or Blacks, Reds and some Chinook Salmon. Got one to the boat this morning that weighed 28lbs. Alot of sand eels in the area and alot of salmon swimming around. Seen alot of bald eagles but still waiting for a wolf to come walking through the area.
We are working out the ideas right now and will be holding salt water clinics at the lodge sometime late next year.
I'm not doing bad for someone who only did tropical trips

See ya next week

Jay

David Lee
06-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Jay -Two questions ....

#1 - I get sick as a dog on those evil swells :oops: .... How rough is it in general ?? Any shelter around that area ??

#2 - Are there any estuarys close by that would hold Starry Flounder and chicken Halibut ?? Cutthroats , maybe ??

Thanks !! David

Darian
06-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Hey Jay,..... You're in the other heaven, right now.... :lol: :lol: Must be a shock to have to bring along rain gear and some long underwear for those cool nights :roll: :roll: :wink:

Jay Murakoshi
06-16-2005, 06:24 PM
David & Darian,

Today we fished in the first nation waters. Went up river to find dolly's, cutthroat and other species. We drifted back to the mouth of the river and ended catching alot of dolly's, rock fish, and starry flounder. The we went back across the straits and through the Hakai pass waters and back to the beach area where we caught the salmon but no luck. We to a place called north beach and just hammered the black rock bass. we had at least 100 to the boat and dropped about the same count.
There is definitly alot of areas to get out of the wind. The only time I'm wearing the foul weather gear in moving from place to place. We haven't had rain, just showers, very little wind.

I'll post some photos' when I get home.

This is definitly a place for those who like the best of both worlds - salt and fresh

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
06-16-2005, 09:12 PM
Darian,

The weather is just great. Some days it's partly cloudy and some days it's overcast. The waters are smooth. The lodge here provides the rain suits with built in safety floatation. They also provide rain boots. They also have Simms boot foot waders and simm wading shoes. Pretty much every thing is here already.
The only thing bad is the bugs at night but with the Bushman bug repellant, they stay away.

We are talking right now about scheduling a clinic here next year, probably around August. Like I mentioned earlier, it's the best of both worlds - salt & fresh water. I understand in August, there are more species of salmon in the bays and esturaries. But I'll have Ken tell more about that later

Jay