PDA

View Full Version : Sabot (sailing) pram sufficient for AR?

Wednesday Caster
06-14-2005, 09:47 PM
Bill (or anyone experienced w/this type of pram),
Let's say it's mid to late August, the flows are steady and everywhere in the water is fish!!! :D

Would a Sabot (glass; 8'x4'x1'- bouyancy chambers bow and stearn; 7' wooden oars and a FF'er w/lifevest) be sufficient for a float on the AR? I recently picked one up and spent the last couple weekends getting her ship-shaped and she's ready to roll. I'm familiar with rowing on flat water but very limited on moving. :shock:

So,
1. 8'er good enough for AR?
2. If your answer is yes, what section(s) would be good for a 1st timer?
3. Additional gear ie. anchor, soda filled cooler :wink: ?
4. Logistically how does one get back to the transport vehicle?

Quinn

David Lee
06-14-2005, 10:19 PM
WC - Good to see you're coming up !!

An 8 foot pram is fine .... (no keel , please ) .

Mid to late August ?? Stripes are the only "large number" Gamefish in at that time .... but this year has been strange , so ANYTHING could happen .

Extra gear in a pram ?? See the list in "Feather gear list for small craft" under boats . Bring a pistol and cellphone when you float the lower river . :twisted:

To get back to your car , spend $25.00 for a shuttle (call Joe S. at Kienes , he'll give ya a ride , and make you tye him some Green Drakes :P ) .

With the goofy weather , you might find the halfpounders in in FORCE - I hope you sink the pram w/ them .

David

HC
06-14-2005, 10:58 PM
David is right, the pram can handle the AR if you follow general boating safety and common sense. I mean skirt the San Juan rapids and such. Just rig it like a drifter and it will be fine for you, not really big enough for two fishing IMHO. I wish I had mine back now. David what is the pistol for, Coyotes? What caliber? Or or do you mean a flair gun. HC

Wednesday Caster
06-16-2005, 05:07 PM
David & HC:
Thanks guys for your input and safety reminders and David thanks for pointing me to the posting of gear list. I just pray that nothing comes up to mess up my schedule.