PDA

View Full Version : Pest Protocols

LostInTheFog
06-09-2005, 06:16 PM
At the end of the month, some friends and I are going to the Yellowstone area for two weeks of fishing. (Is there anything else to do in YNP?) We'll spend 5~6 days in the park, one layover day in a motel, and then 5~6 days on the Henry's Fork and the South Fork. Except for the layover day, we will be camping.

I'm trying to figure out how to deal with our gear to avoid transmission of Whirling Disease and New Zealand Mud Snails. We'll will have no access to a freezer, but are able to carry large buckets in which we could soak gear in the appropriate chemicals.

Does anybody know of a chemical that will kill both WD and NZMS?

I'll take any and all suggestions, regarding chemicals and/or procedures.

Thanks in advance.

Jasonh
06-09-2005, 06:27 PM
I would also look at fishing the lamar and slough creek in the park. Fished slough creek last year around this time and caught something like 40 fish in three or four hours of fishing on caddis and grey drakes. Just a thought. The only thign i have heard of for the snails is clorox bleach and frezzing your boots. good luck.

Jason Hartwick

DonCooksey
06-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Jason:

Whirling disease seems to be primarily transmitted by infected fish, although birds and mud on fishing equipment are also suspected. Rinsing mud off of waders and boots should probably be enough, but others can chime in if they have information on this. Here is a link to some information on whirling disease:

http://whirlingdisease.montana.edu/education/faq.htm

The mud snail is more difficult to disinfect from waders and boots. Freezing, as you mentioned, is preferred, but heat is also effective, as is chorine treatment. Freezing and heat are not usually feasible while traveling, so I would favor a chlorox 409 treatment of waders and boots in the motel bathtub. Here is a link from DFG with some recommendations:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/news04/04001.html

As for other things to do in Yellowstone? After reading the story in the latest John Gierach book about tying a fly line to the collar of a dog and having it run after a thrown stick (to experience the fun of line ripping off of the reel similar to a steelhead run), the buffalo and elk in Yellowstone park would seem to present even greater possibilities. Better bring a big 10-14 weight for those guys though.

Darian
06-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Found this on Blanton's site. It was posted by Ralph Cutter:

Posted by Ralph on 2005-06-10 14:32:54

The study regarding how to control New Zealand mudsnails on wading gear has finally concluded. The effort was exhaustive, expensive, and more time consuming than any of us could have imagined at the start. The result is the only scientifically tested and validated protocol for decontamination of wading gear.

Was it worth it? I think this puts things into perspective: During the field trial phase 50 anglers waded through Putah Creek then had their gear examined. 100% of the anglers were infected with NZ mudsnails and the average angler played host to 33 snails. The majority of the snails were less than 1mm and nearly invisible, yet fully capable of cloning itself in a remote site and infecting an entire watershed.

During the study, many myths were dispelled and three very viable options were proven. All options are doable in the “real world” fishing environment, will kill 100% of the mudsnails in 5 minutes, and will not cause undo wear on wading equipment. Lab personnel and biologists might prefer the options that include using benzethonium chloride or copper sulfate; but for the average angler, the following is the most simple and cost effective technique:

Mix equal parts FORMULA 409 DISINFECTANT and WATER then soak gear for 5 minutes.

Dunk gear in a bucket or put into a river runner’s “dry” bag, shake, then let steep for 5 minutes. If these options are not available, soak equipment with a squirt bottle and keep wet for 5 minutes. Pay particular attention to the inside of wading boots, under laces and inside tongue gussets.

Testing was performed by the California Department of Fish and Game and the US Fish and Wildlife Service in conjunction with the Federation of Fly Fishers, California Trout and private anglers. Funding was provided by Cal Fed. Wading equipment was generously donated by Orvis, Patagonia, and Simms.

The full report can be downloaded from http://flyline.com/_images/nzms_final_report.pdf It is a very thorough and interesting review of the mudsnail issue and describes step by step the testing that went into the research. I would highly recommend that every angler download a copy.

Please disseminate this information and feel free to contact me if you have any questions. If you can provide me with further media outlets, that would be greatly appreciated!

Ralph
cutter@flyline.com