PDA

View Full Version : Loreto leaders for Dorado and etc.

Frank E.
06-07-2005, 10:46 AM
I'll be down Loreto way in about a month, primairly to target Dorado.
What are the current suggestions for making up leaders? I'm not worried about IGFA requirements, just hookign & holding onto them. What size material should I have on hand to make up additional leaders once I'm there? And, lastly, what other combinations are good to have for other species that I may have the opportunity to target?

Thanks a bunch,

Frank

Darian
06-07-2005, 05:10 PM
I've been working on developing a twisted butt section (a la Leo Gutierrez {hope I spelled the name right}) for a saltwater leader... :D . The intended use is in southern Baja. Still in the practice casting stage and determining the correct pound test of the basic Mono for the appropriate length/use (....rod/reel/line combo, etc.) 8) . My design would incorporate a loop to loop connect between line/butt section, Loop to loop connect to tippet and a long bite section..... (Pound test to be set for intended use)

I've watched Adam prepare/test a twisted leader for stretching.... It worked very well and I was impressed with the potential ability to absorb shock..... 8) 8) 8)

Leo
06-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Hi Frank
I have been using a twisted stretch salt water leader these past few years for tarpon and sails with good results. If you are interested I can send you a sample and instructions on how to tie them.
Leo

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-08-2005, 08:38 AM
You should have good strong braided mono loops on both ends of your tropical fly line first.

The most simple leader for starts is just a 4-5' butt section of 30# Mason clear hard mono with a perfection loop on both ends.

Then you just loop the butt section to your flyline.

Then take 3 feet of 20# Mason and put a surgeon's loop on one end of it and loop it on to the butt section.

Then tie on your streamer or popper with a non-slip loop knot.

After you get it all attached and the fly on, I usually hook the fly on some thing and pull (~10#) the entire leader system and hold it for a while to be sure it will not break.

Be sure to pinch down or grind off all your barbs before you leave on your trip.

Frank E.
06-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks guys for your insight based upon experience. I'll make up a number of combinations. Should I bring any wire for bite?

Thanks again.

Frank

bajafly
06-12-2005, 10:26 AM
:idea: Use a 9' 20lb. fluorocarbon tapered leader and reverse. Tie a small bimini twist loop at the 20 lb. tippet end attach loop to loop to your butt section that is attached to fly line and then you have a 20 lb. tippet with a knotless bite tippet. Not IGFA but simple and it works.