PDA

View Full Version : Quick report from New Zealand

Langenbeck
06-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Pictures will follow when I return. Just arrived a couple of days ago in the Rotorua area. Last night hooked four fish at night and landed two of about 5 pounds. One of the fish I lost was about 7 pounds with a bad knot.

This AM in the dark caught and released a wonderfully conditioned rainbow hen that was 29" long and weighed in my net 10.5 pounds. Doesn't get much better.

Regards,

Gordon

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Gordon's other specialty beside the Rogue River is some night fishing for years on lakes in New Zealand.

Darian
06-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Wow,.... How good can one guy have it 8) 8) . Lives in a beautiful place and fishes for Salmon/Steelhead 'til they're thru..... Then goes to New Zealand for some big Trout in the Southern Hemisphere..... (it's Fall there) 8) 8)

Langenbeck
06-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Hit it right last night as I hooked and landed three fish, one of four pounds, and two at nine pounds. All rainbows on silly smelt imitations with lumo underwrap.

This AM in dark hooked and lost a big fish.

Regards,

Gordon

Hairstacker
06-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Darian, I agree, Gordon has it TOO good. Down right spoiled if you ask me. Sure wish I had it that good. :lol:

Gordon, sounds like you're have a GRAND time. REALLY looking forward to the pictures when you get back! :D

Langenbeck
06-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Fishing continues good. Last night hooked and landed three rainbows of 5, 5 and 6 pounds. One of the 5 pound fish actually took me into my backing on the initial run. Thought it was a much bigger fish.

Back at it at 5 AM in the dark and hooked three and landed two rainbows of 5 & 7 pounds. Can't complain. A good filler between winter and summer steelhead on the Rogue :lol:

Langenbeck
06-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Tons of people this weekend as it was a long holiday-Queen's Birthday but now things getting back to normal. Got blanked last night but hit it big this morning as I hooked three and landed two beautiful rainbows of 10 and 10.5 pounds. On my first 17 trips had only taken three double digit fishing but so far on this fish have taken five fish right at ten pounds. One of the lakes has had a nasty algea bloom during the summer and kept all the anglers away so now it the winter these fish are only beginning to get fished again.

Regards,

Gordon

Langenbeck
06-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Last night in Lake Rotoiti had my best night EVER. Hooked 10 rainbows and laned 6 or 27, 28, 28, 29, 29 and 29.5 inches. At condition factor of 46 all the fish except the 27 inch fish would be 10 pounds or more. Would guess the biggest fish at a little over 12 pounds. Pictures when I return.

This is fishing with a floating line and a lumo smelt imitation. These fish are incredible strong.

Hairstacker
06-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Gordon, you call this "filler"?!? You are TOO spoiled, it's just not right! Probably not healthy either. :lol: