PDA

View Full Version : Cement Pond Won't Be a Bonanza for Long!

MSP
05-31-2005, 05:48 PM
Sorry!

SullyTM
05-31-2005, 07:26 PM
MSP...I hear ya brother! At the local creek here in Negativeland for the past 2 years I have come across my share of "poachers" who think nothing of taking Chinook after Chinook! I'll put on a happy face when I tell them that game wardens patrol on a regular basis...and to drive home the point home I take out my cell and hit the speed-dial(yes, I have the local game warden on speed)...Who owns/oversees that pond? Try putting up signs that say: Catch & Release Only, Barbless Hooks, CA State Fishing License needed...That might keep the knucklehead factor down. VENT ON!!! SullyTM

Adam Grace
05-31-2005, 08:57 PM
I despise poachers like that.

I hope the get very sick for many days.

No respect for the fish!

Next time snag THEM with a nice little 2/o clouer through their ears or any other facial structure. :twisted:

I think that I have some unresolved anger towards people like that who damage our fisheries.

Maybe just wave your finger at them and shake your head :lol:

Darian
05-31-2005, 09:31 PM
"Poachers".... :? . Hmmmmm,.... "Not of American Decent",.... :? . Hmmmm....
Ya know, it's entirely possible that we're being just a little too indignant, here :? :? :? .

As far as I can tell, it's not illegal to fish with bait or barbed hooks at the "cement pond". Further, it doesn't sound like the fishermen exceeded the legal limit for Bluegill in California... 8) . Thom may have a better case for anadromous species... 8) 8) .

Let's be realistic here. We're all offended by killing of fish (unless it suits us to "take one for the table". That includes me....), regardless of our hertitage. Not so sure that any one of us is able to distinguish who is of "American decent" in such a short interval, either.... :? . Mike tried to engage these guys in conversation and that's good... 8) . But, please.... Lets not jump to conclusions and maybe try to educate rather than raise issues that're inflammatory 8) 8) 8) It doesn't serve us well....

David Lee
06-01-2005, 06:14 AM
Immigrants , of ALL races , have no idea what catch and release means -that is a fact , not a bigoted statement .

In the "3rd-world" , you keep what you catch - I do not like to see that here , where we have a supermarket on almost every corner . I don't see any good reason to pull fish off of spawning beds -AT ALL .

Is this Pollitical correctness ?? Nope , just the way things are . With our population bursting at the seams , we NEED to conserve , not take everything we can . Am I "anti-Immigrant" ?? Shit , NO - just really tired of seeing people bring "ethics" from the stone age into my country and rape the land and water .

And there are more than a few AMERICAN fish-hogs that need to get with the program , as well .

Send hate mail to my PM address , please . David

Jgoding
06-01-2005, 06:58 AM
Nothing can prevent the knucklehead factor because they don't give a rat's A#$ in the first place. Perhaps they need to hire someone to monitor their wild life they've established since the Republicans errrrrr California doesn't have the budget to hire the correct amount of people to do it.... Either way the problem is endemic as no one can agree or wants to manage/enforce management on individual fisheries (big or small) worth a crap in this state......

Also it's how people are raised... if something is free, take take take take take take take take take take take take.... or if you can get away with it.... take take take take take take take take take take take take.....

What I hate the most about people who fish like this though... is they're the first people to bitch that the fishing sux!!!

My 10 cents worth.....

SullyTM
06-01-2005, 08:25 AM
Darian...You make some good points. I assumed the Cement Pond was a Catch & Release site because of it's proximity to a housing development. You're right about peoples(all people) right to keep fish, however, sometimes the "amount" of fish kept is hard to swallow. If there are no regulations preventing what number of fish that can be kept then C&R will be an individual choice. Have I ever kept a fish for the dinner table? Yes! Do I keep enough fish to feed an army? No! I think MSP was correct in trying to educate these folks that it might be a good thing to think about the spawning aspect and not keep so many...Now, let's get started on those June Swap flies! SullyTM

Darian
06-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Perhaps I've opened a can of worms, here... :? . Still can't agree with the level of righteous indignation on this one... 8) . Altho killing that many fish is regrettable, nothing illegal has happened, here. If these people had a license to fish they're legally entitled to catch and keep those fish.

I especially disagree with the references to non American decent or immigrants... :cry: . Making blanket statements about immigrants of all races is probably not factual and is inflammatory :x . For example, our neighbors to the north and south are immigrants when they're here and of non American decent. Those I know or have met, practice catch/release and are equally concerned about conservation, etc. 8) 8) There are other examples....

Individuals do damage; not entire races of people. As Jeff points out, there's nothing you can do about the "knucklehead factor" :!: :!: :!:

This type of discourse adds nothing to the valid points being raised about the condition of the fishery or the laws... :? . It does indicate the level of frustration with the condition of the states efforts or lack of same to enforce fish & Game laws/reg's.... :shock: :shock: . And the impact on our fisheries..... :shock: .

Nuff said.. 8) . I'm done on this subject... 8) 8) .

Hairstacker
06-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Uh. . . , anybody catching any bass?

Adam Grace
06-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Hell Yes HAIR! I'm catching a ton of small bass, ON TOP!

I thought that I would chime in again with my bass pond stories. :D

I am happy to tell all of you that the average size seems to be increasing.

Here is an example:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/Chico/IMGP1837.jpg

Not huge but larger than most.

I know there's monsters out there, I'm still looking.

How about you guys?

Jasonh
06-01-2005, 12:11 PM
All i have to say is a GREAT post by David and a nice looking bass by Adam.

Jason Hartwick

SullyTM
06-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Geez Adam...not large :?: That smile sez it all...and to think in the Fall you'll be studying :roll: What flies are you using? Hairstacker, any Delta success with the secret weapons? I'm still looking at inflatables by the way...Later.

Adam Grace
06-01-2005, 01:50 PM
I use size #8 foam popper like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/chrtfoampoppr.jpg

I like to add rubber legs and a 17lb weed guard that is heavy enough to guard the hook from weeds but soft enough to catch smaller fish.

These foam popper boddies are made by Wapsi and they come 10 to a pack with popper hooks included. I believe that Bill has some in stock. They are easy to tie and they pop very easily. Great bass flies and tons of fun at dusk!

Hairstacker
06-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Adam, that is a very respectable bass, great job!

Thom, you mean I was supposed to fish with those things?!? I had intended them for display and example purposes. :lol:

Darian
06-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Cool popper Adam,.... Does the size 8 refer to hook or fly size :?: :?:

Was over at Kiene's yesterday and didn't see any of those foam bodies. Probably need to ask Bill to re-stock 'em... 8) 8) . I think Bill misses your inventory control skills.... :P :P :lol: :lol:

SullyTM
06-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Mike...Try one of the Pinkys, OK? They might induce something to bite.

Hairstacker
06-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Thom, Pinky in the Delta? Ok, will give it a good run.

David Lee
06-01-2005, 05:13 PM
DISCLAIMER - Before we take off our watches , roll-up our sleeves , and tye-on the boxing gloves ..... This post is not meant to stir up anything vile - I AM NOT a closet-nazi , zenophobe , klansman , or bigot . Nor do I approve of any of that garbage ..... I just think the "no-speak , no understand" crap doesn't fly .... You don't have to be fluent in the language , just understand the Law .... and ETHICS - that's all .

My point is .....Sunfish , usually no closed season and no limit .... so its LEGAL to keep them . Is it a SOUND practice to keep a mess of them off the beds while they are ACTIVELY SPAWNING ? I don't think so - legal , yes , but not so good for the fish population .

Over the years ... I have run into many , many people fishing and keeping over the legal limit amounts of Gamefish - both keeper (legal) sized , and more often undersized . The problem is they don't speak or read the common language of this country (You know .... the one that the DFG regs are printed in) .... Where they are from makes NO DIFFERENCE to me , as long as WE ALL follow the same laws .

In the situation that MSP brought to light , NO LAWS were broken - But did the "anglers" in question understand what they were doing ?? Do you really think that next week , they won't be at Freeport , or Miller park keeping a bucket full of under-sized Stripes ?? Or Steelhead Smolts ? If someone dosen't give a damm about fish active on beds , will they give a damm about silly things like limits ?? Or minimum sizes ??

And .... I'll say it one more time - TOO MANY people who were born in THIS country , who SHOULD know better , also do the same thing .

David Lee - A very proud member of the GREATEST melting pot on Earth .

JPY
06-01-2005, 09:06 PM
I don't think this is a American/non-American, immigrant/non-immigrant or English/non-English speaking issue, and it should not be stereotyped into one. To do so would be wrong. It is really about human nature. How many of us drives the speed limit all the times. I am sure we all know the law but sometime we chose to speed anyways. It is human nature to take, consume, and weigh the risk and rewards.

Reading these threads, I am reminded of my youth when I went fishing with my buddies at a lake in the Bay Area. We spent countless weekends searching for schools of crappies. One day, we finally found the jackpot and pull in about forty of them in a very short period of time. We threw them in a bucket and brought them home. We fillet and ate about twenty of them and threw the rest in the freezer. My parents came home and ask me why it was necessary to keep all the fish. My only answer was that we caught them they were ours to keep. The thought of catch and release never entered my mind. It wasn't until years later as I fished with other seasoned fisherman that the concept of catch and release was taught to me. Now, I practice catch and release, but the concept was not readily apparant until someone explained it to me. Now when my son catches a fish, his fist comment is can I keep it. I ask him why and he saids that he wants to show mom and to keep the fish as his pet. I told him that I have a camera and explained the concept catch and release. He looks at me and ask how come they are keeping their fish. It's a difficult battle, but one well worth the effort.

Basically, unless dictated by law, catch and release is a personal choice. As long as they were legally catching the fish, it is their choice whether to keep it or not. I agree that we should all follow the same laws, and ignorance of such laws is no excuse. I just don't think it should be generalized between American/Non-American, immigrant/non-immigrant or English/non-English speaking people.

John

Adam Grace
06-02-2005, 10:22 PM
See what you caused Mike! :lol:

Darian
06-02-2005, 11:48 PM
Hey,.... Mike's a stand up guy.... 8) 8) 8) 8)