PDA

View Full Version : Secret spot revealed!

LostInTheFog
05-31-2005, 09:49 AM
Had some fun on the Little Truckee on Memorial Day, at the inlet to Boca.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/dbrosier/MemDay/100_0221.jpg

Don't tell David Lee: I caught it on a dry fly...an itty-bitty dry fly...in black. :wink: :P

My thanks to friend Kevin, first class fly-fishing partner, for the camera work, and for keeping me humble (sometimes) on the trap range.

Jasonh
05-31-2005, 10:41 AM
Nice fish! That little truckee usually produces nice fish. While you might not catch huge numbers of fish there, the ones you do get will be good sized just like that nice bow. congrats.

Jason Hartwick

Hairstacker
05-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Wow, very nice fish!

rrivera
05-31-2005, 05:57 PM
L.I.T.F. - Sweet bow..!!! Nice Hawg..!! That's some pig..!!

I take it the flows were ok..? Or was it a bit risky in some places..?

Glad you provided that photo... Keeps me motivated until I can get out here soon again. Thanks for sharing the moment with us..!!

Best Regards,

-RR

SullyTM
05-31-2005, 07:30 PM
Lost...Boy Howdy!!! Nice girth! Details! Details! I need a bedtime story...Thanks. SullyTM

David Lee
05-31-2005, 07:37 PM
D. - What a BEAUTY !!

Tiny dry , huh ??? Very nice fishie and photo , as well as the most sensible hat around .

Any Smallmouth in your future ???? David

MSP
05-31-2005, 08:12 PM
Now that's what I'm talking about! That looks like one of those fish you never forget! Very nice LITF. Great shot! I gotta get away from my cement pond! :oops:

LostInTheFog
05-31-2005, 11:03 PM
This fish was a lot of fun. From spotting to landing, I probably worked on him for at least 1/2 an hour. While many other species are stellar gamefish in their own right, I think headhunting big, spooky trout in slow, clear water is just about the most fun a guy can have.

The fly was a black Palomino Midge, size 20. I dressed only the little white pop top so most of the fly hung in/below the film. The top on the fly in this pic is a little longer than on the fly I used.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/dbrosier/Misc/PalominoMidge.jpg

As others on this board will attest, the most subtle riseform is usually made by the biggest fish, and that certainly was the case here. However, unlike other fish in the area, this fish was holding in one place, just below where the tail of the last riffle was pushing up against the tallus slope and concentrating food. He would rise once or twice, and then stay down for a bit, maybe three or four minutes. Timing his rises was probably the hardest part of the job. Anyway, patience won out.

By the tape, 24 inches on the nose. Kevin thinks it probably weighed about five pounds. Sitting here writing about, I'm still giggling.

P.S. David, I HOPE there are some smallies in my future. However, we leave for 10 days in Yellowstone in a couple of weeks. I'll email you in a day or two. Maybe we can set something up.

Dan

Hairstacker
05-31-2005, 11:29 PM
LITF, that is the ultimate, isn't it? Sighting the quarry, stalking him, then persistently, successfully applying the tools and techniques. Fly fishing at its very best. . . . Congratulations again on a great, well-caught, well-deserved fish! 8)

Adam Grace
06-01-2005, 12:02 AM
Nice job LITF.

I love the lil'trukee for that style of fishing and size of fish.

Great fish!

SullyTM
06-01-2005, 06:44 AM
Lost...Thanks for the highlights! YELLOWSTONE!!!! Yeah! If you're in the neighborhood of the Snake River in the Grand Tetons you HAVE got to drop a fly or two. You are entering a truly beautiful area of the United States. Have fun!

P.S. Watch out for buffalo and grizzlies...

Darian
06-01-2005, 08:16 AM
LITF,.... Good picture/great fish.... :D . Remember, when you go to Yellowstone, don't play poker with the Buffalo.... :? . They have all the chips :roll: :P :P :P :D

Gregg Machel
06-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Hey, I'm leaving for West Yellowstone in a couple weeks too! Maybe we can hook up and do some fishing?