PDA

View Full Version : June Fly Swap???

Darian
05-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Hey everybody,..... Hairstacker says he'll host a swap for june if there's any interest (under Topic: May Fly Swap)... 8) 8) 8) .

I'd be interested in participating if it involves tying Striper or Saltwater patterns... 8) . Since I'm planning trips in both those areas, and am already tying those types of flies... :roll: :roll: .

David Lee
05-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Count me in .... Since I have complete sets of ALL the Swapflies so far !!

..... That is .... If Thom don't boot my nevermind for being late on the current one - :roll:

David

SullyTM
05-31-2005, 07:14 AM
Darian...Where you goin'? I could hang with another swap...Hairstacker needs something to do :lol: Once a fly pattern area has been designated I'll see what I can come up with.

What's the 5 day Sacramento weather forecast...Rumor has it I will be in the area by week's end...

Darian
05-31-2005, 10:00 AM
Thom,.... After reading all of Jay's posts, I decided to take a trip down to the La Paz area... :D . Trying to launch out of the Punta Arenas De La Ventana area but may go out from the northeast end of the Bahia at La Paz to fish the islands up there.... Guess it dpepends on where the fish are.... 8) 8) .

Gotta tie a bunch of Sardina, Mullet, Squid and surf patterns..... :roll: :roll:

SullyTM
05-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Darian...Don't forget a shrimp pattern :!: When Hairstacker posts the Do's & Dont's I'll have to come up with something. Maybe I'll just tie a tube of Coppertone on a hook and call it done :roll: Thom.

PaulC
05-31-2005, 10:08 PM
I'd be interested in joining this one. If its saltwater, are you guys thinking baja flies or coastal california patterns?
Just tied up a local pattern in size 1/0 to give a shot in the baja surfline next week.
Things are starting to pick up down here with the water warming.
Lots of perch, some nice halibut, yellow fin croaker and finally some corbina cruising.
I hope the good weather and some lower flows are showing up north for you guys.
-Paul

Hairstacker
05-31-2005, 10:55 PM
Ok, I'm game -- since there appears to be interest in a saltwater swap, saltwater it is! :D No restrictions on type of saltwater pattern, although I'm sure everyone would like to know if the pattern you're tying is particularly effective for a certain fish species and/or location. After giving this some thought, I do request that everyone identify the length of their pattern. I say this because some patterns can be up to 6 inches or more long, and it would help to know this so everyone ships in a container large enough to accommodate receiving the patterns being tied. Would hate to have to fold anyone's flies in half in order to fit 'em in their container! :lol: Fair enough? And please use "toe tags," as I have found these extremely helpful in keeping track of the names of flies and who tied them.

Sign-ups will close on June 5 with flies due by July 5. I'll update with a list of names, patterns, etc., as these things are revealed. Feel free to offer comments on any of this if I've overlooked anything. Should be a fun swap with some interesting, colorful patterns! 8) I especially welcome folks of ANY fly tying ability who haven't participated in any of the swaps thus far. It's all in good fun and past swaps have shown all levels of ability. This is an easy, very friendly group and, speaking for myself, swaps are a great learning experience. 8)

Jay Murakoshi
05-31-2005, 11:27 PM
Darian,

Just heard that the fleet will/should be launching from the lighthouse effective June 1st. But that's not written in stone. It definitly makes the run alot shorter to the island.
I would join the fly tying swap but I'm swamped with over a 125 dozen flies to get out.

I did go fishing, no not in baja - at my local lake. See warm water fishing

jay

Hairstacker
05-31-2005, 11:37 PM
Jay, 125 dozen? But the swap flies aren't due until 5 July. . . . Just kidding!!! All I know is if I had to tie 125 dozen, I'd have to give up fishing altogether and hopefully the customer wouldn't be expecting them until. . . 2007? :lol: Sure hope, though, we can catch you in a future swap. 8)

SullyTM
06-01-2005, 06:51 AM
Hairstacker...I'm in for June. I've never fly fished in salt water but that won't stop me. I'm tying a Bendback pattern. Size 2/0 hook with a length not to exceed 3 inches...July 5 will be easy to remember, it's my birthday :D

MSP
06-01-2005, 07:06 AM
Thom ,that can't be your B-day, it's my wife's! You'll just have to pick another day! :lol:

An early Happy Birthday so I don't forget to tell you!

SullyTM
06-01-2005, 07:43 AM
MSP...Small world! Happy Birthday to Mrs. MSP. I'd ask how many candles but that's rude. I'm old enough to know better, but young enough to care :wink:

Darian
06-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Hey Mike,.... I'm in for my idea of a Mullet pattern... 8) . Length, probably be about 3 1/2 inches..... Hook size about 1/0 or 2/0... 8) 8) 8) .

slack_in_the_box
06-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Hey guys,

How do I enter the fly swap? :?:

I have never entered a fly swap, but would like to take part in the Salt Water pattern as I too will be headed south this summer... 8)

:D

Darian
06-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Hey Slack,.... All you have to do is call your pattern/length (within the confines set by the host) 8) . The Host usually sets the rules of a particular swap. In this case It's Hairstacker 8) 8) . His earlier post has some good in it for you. Then it's production time... 8) .

Tie on Dudes.... :lol: :lol: :D .

SullyTM
06-01-2005, 09:23 AM
What about Slacks $100 entry fee :?: :P

Just kidding Slack...Welcome to the June Swap. It's alot of fun :!: