PDA

View Full Version : 5/29 pm Report

jrh
05-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Hit the american at Watt Ave. at about 5:30pm today. Flows were around 6000 cfs and I had a little luck. Thanks to the guy at the shop that drew the map for me. I caught 4 on 5 casts in the exact spot he showed me. I started above the bridge because of the swimmers below the bridge without any luck. Once the swimmers left I waded out on a sand bar that ran parallel to the current. I had a deep pool behind me and a swift current in front. Most of the fish hit just as the fly swung into the rip between the slow and fast water.
A guy fishing with me tried to wade out behind me and he stepped into a deep hole about 10 feet from where i was standing. I tried to get to him but I could only get his rod. He grabbed my fly line but I couldnt grab the end of it to pull him in, so he started floating downstream until a drift boat hauled him in. Quite a scary event, but he made it out in one peice thanks to the guy in the boat. Be careful out there with the high flows. Take very careful steps and remember to wear your belt. I forgot mine but i was able to rig one out of the strap on my golf bag. I ended up taking on a little, so I am thankful that I decided not to go sans-belt/gold strap.
Hopefully I'll get another day of low flows before I head back to LA Saturday!

Jeff

BigWilly
05-29-2005, 10:31 PM
So I took my son and his friend out to catch some Shad. My son caught 7 and his friend caught 8. They had a lot of fun. I was not able to fish because I was helping and teaching them. It also helps the day before I caught 122 not bad for a day fishing. However today I was able to catch about a 180 pound fisherman out of the river , he probably was more like 230 sense he was all wet. He had fallen in the river and the current was taking him down river so I was able to get to him and landed my first 230 pound fisherman. It was quite scary at the time but it all worked out and my wife is glad I went fishing now and had bought the boat. So it was another interesting day out at the American River. The boys also learned a very valuable lesson about wading and how quick this can happen.

Darian
05-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Great job :!: :!: ..... I hope that guy realizes how lucky he was that you were there.... 8) 8) . I'll bet he'll think twice about wading at high flows before hed tries it again... :roll: :roll: :roll: .

jrh
05-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Bigwilly,
That was you in the boat. Glad you were there! I had no idea what to do once he started floating down stream.

Jeff

BigWilly
05-29-2005, 11:56 PM
JRH
Yes that was me. It look like that guy was real shooken up. JRH if you would like to go out in the boat some time just let me know.

jrh
05-30-2005, 10:50 AM
BigWilly,
I just sent you a PM.

Jeff

JJohnson
05-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Wow! 122!! That's really something!!! I was out Saturday and only managed a couple, and darn near drowned in the process. There's no safe way to wade the American when it's above 4000, except Watt maybe, so I'm waiting and trying some of the other waters around. Wow, 122! That's really something!! I'm trying to imagine what that would be like in one day! Wow, that's really something!! 122. Wow