PDA

View Full Version : Help! What flies for shad?

andanb
05-29-2005, 05:05 PM
My friend and I are going fishing for shad this week and were wondering what flies to use for shad. We will be using shooting heads either III or VI...if that makes a difference in fly selection. I've looked around and have not been able to find anything that is listed as a shad fly. Help please![/b] :?: :?:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Very bright flies work for shad like white, pink, chartreuse, yellow, orange and red or a combination of these colors.

Most use nickel, chrome or even gold hooks but they are not a complete necessity. We like heavier wire hooks to help sink the flies. Shad flies can run from #4 to #10 depending on water clarity, depth and sun light.

We use nickel bead chane eyes or chrome dumbbell eyes to help sink the flies and to turn the flies over so we can hook the fish in the roof of the mouth. The american Shad has a very thin lower jaw that a hook can pull right through.

We use larger darker contrasting colored flies in the early season with darker water. As the season progresses we use smaller light colored flies.
The Sacramento River above Colusa has a very large run of Shad and we use larger flies there because the water is never real clear up there. On the lower American River and especially the lower Yuba River the water can get very clear.

In the past few years many have gone to putting a #12 green caddis larva trailer off the back of their shad flies.

SullyTM
05-29-2005, 07:56 PM
andanb...Try tying/buying some Wet Pinkys, size 10. I heard they will catch you a few...Good Luck and let us know how you make out. SullyTM

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-29-2005, 10:06 PM
http://www.worldwaters.com/retail/flytying/tips/wetpinky06_312.jpg

Thanks to local guide Bill Lowe and the World Waters web site there is the information to tie Dave Howard's "Wet Pinky".

http://www.worldwaters.com/retail/common/community/article.asp?id=312

This is the number one Shad fly on the Lower American River. I am sure it would catch Shad on many other rivers as well.

Darian
05-30-2005, 02:04 PM
All of the above are good suggestions... 8) . Most of the succesfull Shad flies are simple in nature. (e.g. the Wet Pinky) Try the simple patterns using different colors. Such as chartreuse, orange (flourescent), etc. One of the simplest of all Shad flies I've ever used was one dressed by Mike monroe 8) . It used chartreuse or hot orange floss (tapered) and Bead chain or bumbell eyes for weight. No hackle or tail. Simple but deadly pattern.... 8) 8) 8) .

Also,.... Don't get married to an all deep presentation. if they aren't hitting on a deep sinking line, try using a sink tip or intermediate line.... Later in the day, Shad can be higher in the water column... 8) .

Good luck :D :D :D