PDA

View Full Version : alpine lakes

Gregg
05-27-2005, 10:13 PM
I know this stuff can be sort of a secret, so I wont ask for exact directions... I'm hoping to hike away from the crowds this summer and hit some of the alpine lakes. If anyone has some general info, like exits off the freeway or whatnot I'd be stoked. I can hike and find things myself, but some general preliminary directions would be great. Thanks!

Darian
05-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Hi Gregg,.... There're several Alpine Lakes to the north and south of Hwy 88 at the crest of Kit Carson Pass.... There're trailheads in each direction.... 8) 8) . Some are easy day hikes, others are more complex, lengthy.... All you need is a map. Pick your spots. Still a bunch of snow/ice up there.... :? .

I fish the area quite often but no longer backpack.... I fish the lakes around Markleevile and those at the Crest that border the road.... Caples Lake, for example, has some very good fishing for larger Brooks/Rainbows and large Lake trout... 8) 8) 8) .

Good luck :!: :!:

Adam Grace
05-27-2005, 11:25 PM
I like Fuller Lake!

It can get highly pressured at times but it the perfect size to float tube.

Very beautiful surrounding and not very far away from Sacramento.

Now that I said this All of you STAY AWAY IT'S MINE! :lol:

I'm funny, that is already a very popular fishery, but I still like to fish it.

rrivera
06-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Hey Gregg....

Last year I found a great place where you can have it all... Lakes, Rivers, and Small Creeks..

I heard about it from other folks, but never really bit on it untill my vacation plans got ruined last year.

I spent 4 days In Sierra City, 12 miles above Downieville. You have the great pocket water fishing of the North Fork of the Yuba, plus 7 miles up there a group of 8 lakes w/ tribs, all within 10 - 20 minutes apart.

I was fortunate to catch a brown, a couple of brookies, and averaged 15-25 trout a day (8 - 14 in). Big dry w/ dropper was the main dicipline on the river

Sardine lake was the closest , and had boats to rent w/ trolling motors on them.
Those fish there, though a bit more spooky, still landed 2 nice pigs in hand using brown flashy WB's. Fishing w/ a 23 ft 190gr sink tip.

From Antelope, CA... It was a 2.5 -3.0 hr drive. Scenery, great home portions meals from the resteraunts, a local bar to get some cold ones, and the ability to walk a block to your room was just the ticket.

There are some motels/hotels right on the river. Just walk down and start casting. I'll be up there again in July. Great place to get away.

Hope this gives you another option.

Eugene Graham
06-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Sierra City "Also known as the Gold Lakes Basin area" does have a bunch a great lakes. I used to fish Packer lake, with great success. There are a few campgrounds, but get your campsite early as they are first come first serve "No Reservations".

Blake
06-10-2005, 11:04 PM
Hey Gregg,

Seriously, check out the Desolation wilderness. There are over 100 lakes within 100 square miles and a lot of them have fish. Several of my fishing buddies and I hit the Desolation several times a year. Last year my best fish out of the Desolation was a 21" brown.
Desolation is your best "wilderness" bet up hwy 50.
If you are going up hwy 80, take the hwy 20 exit. Go north on Bowman lake road. Go straight past Fuller (unless you have powerbait) and from that point up explore. I don't want to throw out too many tips cause finding them is half the fun. But here's some primers.... North on Bowman lake road you can hike into dozens of lakes. I've caught rainbows, browns, brookies, cutts, and goldens in that area and most of the time the only other people you will see are other hikers.

Rick J
06-14-2005, 06:29 AM
It is a bit of a drive but the Trinity Alps and even farther the Marble Mountains can be spectacular with lots of lakes and hikes of any length you want. There are a number of books out there on both areas and just picking up quad maps of the area can get you going. Going to be a late opening up there due to all the late weather unless you don't mind hiking in snow. Check with the Forest Service up in Weaverville or other places to get an idea if any of the lakes are open