PDA

View Full Version : Cree substitute?

Jasonh
05-26-2005, 07:42 PM
I have been looking for some cree hackle to use for some steelhead flies i would like to tie. It is hard to find and can be very expensive. Has anyone used it or used something else as a substitute. Thanks.

Jason Hartwick

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Maybe a grizzly died tan/ginger?

What pattern is that?

Jasonh
05-26-2005, 09:53 PM
Bill, that is knd of what i was thinking. Do you have any like that in the shop. It is for a pattern called an autumn hilton. Just a variation of a silver hilton that is tied by Jeff Bright and is very productive on the klamath and trinity in the fall. Starting to tie steelhead flies for a couple trips in the fall when i can get back from texas.

Jason Hartwick

Darian
05-26-2005, 10:11 PM
Hi Jason,.... I've rarely seen Cree capes in shop out here. More likely to see a Cree saddle. However, I have seen/purchased Cree capes/saddles at most of the fly shows I've attended. It seems to be in the sale bins for some reason... :? .

Sorry I can't be of more help. Bill probably has the best suggestion for an alternative.... :D :D

David Lee
05-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Jason , instead of Cree , try Wood Duck flank for a spider-type fly . I believe that the Gold Hilton uses Wood Duck .

Just a thought ...... David