PDA

View Full Version : Flamin' Bass N 'Gills !!!!!

David Lee
05-25-2005, 09:47 PM
Our dear MSP gave me a ring ..."Wanna come fish the Cement-pond" ....

How could I refuse ?? :roll:

mike chose his HMG 3 wt. , had his hands full today -

http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/IM002159.JPG

Nice Largemouth ..... What Swapfly do ya think he used :?:

http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/IM002160.JPG

Yet another hookup , OH , BOY !!!!

http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/IM002161.JPG

not a monster , but better than the American ( and none of us came close to drowning) :arrow:

http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/IM002162.JPG

All in all , a fun time to be had ...... Bluegills bigger than I've ever seen (a few in the TWO-LB. CLASS :shock: )

Because those little %^$#s were bedding , we couldn't get them to eat too good . Another week or so , and someone will crush a line-class record :!:

Thanks to MSP and his beautiful wife , Wendy for having me .... Swell people , and nice dogs , too !!

David

By the way ..... It was a BUGSKIN CRAW :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

MSP
05-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Rough day on the water today, you know how it is, you just can't make a client happy! :D You put them on fish, and they expect you to cast, hook, and let let them land the fish! What's up with that. Here are a couple of pics of a very unhappy client. I know that by the tip he left me! :shock:

Right off the get go this guy is trying to eat off the handle on his rod.

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/photopost45/data/500/285DSC00167-med.JPG

Then he catches my pet Bluto! And not a glimps of a smile!

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/photopost45/data/4/285DSC00169-med.JPG

Couldn't get this guy to smile all day!

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/photopost45/data/500/285DSC00170-med.JPG

Well in all honesty it was a pretty fun day out on the cement pond with David. And I actually did see him smile after we got back to the hacienda!

This wasn't the largest fish we got but it was the most colorful.

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/photopost45/data/500/285DSC00171-med.JPG

Great fun today David, let's give em a week or so to get off the beds and let em know who we really are! :lol:

Until next time, David and Mike's Wilderness Adventures!

BTW: Thanks David for the Bugskin Craw, I don't know about you but I thought it did OK! :D

Hairstacker
05-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Wow, David landed that thing with his teeth?!? :shock: Awesome! :lol: GREAT report and pictures guys! Awesome bluegill, bass don't look half bad either. Mike, you are too funny! Pet Bluto. . . ha! :lol: Glad to hear you guys had a great time. 8) 8) 8)

David Lee
05-25-2005, 10:57 PM
Hairstacker - If you thought Bluto was a hog ..... You should have seen his big-Bro .....Mc Schizzmo :!:

Today I saw several 'Gills that were in the FOURTEEN-INCH range - I've never seen free-swiming sunfish that size .

So , when are ya comin' up ???? :roll:

Put it on your things to do list :idea:

David

Darian
05-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Hey Mike,.... You think catching that Bluegill with his teeth was good :?: :?: You shoulda seen him casting with his teeth :lol: :lol: :lol:

David Lee
05-25-2005, 11:22 PM
D. - Set the hook w/ me teeth once .... Shad fishin' on the A. , made a cast , did the swing , and had to fish-out my lighter to burn a smoke . Fiddlin' 'round w/ said Marlboro and what should happen ???

CRACK :!: A Shad nails the bug on the hang-down ....

And you thought I only whipped my head at the Mexican restaurant when the waitress walked by ...... :twisted:

Mmmmmmm :idea: ..... David

Hairstacker
05-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Darian, I just KNEW I should'a splurged for casting lessons. I am humbled. . . . :lol:

David Lee
05-25-2005, 11:36 PM
Mike - if I could get you , Thom , MSP , and Darian on the same water at the same time ................
:twisted: I COULD TAKE-OVER THIS FRIGGIN' WORLD :twisted:

Of course .... we would throw-in Adam ..... if for no other reason than Rancid Bear Grease-support :idea:

David

Adam Grace
05-26-2005, 12:39 AM
I do bring the rancid bear grease excitement!

Nice pictures guys. Those bluegill look to be darn near the same size as the ones in my private water.

SullyTM
05-26-2005, 07:20 AM
...I don't think David every smiles for the camera :roll: He's to busy planning his next catch :!: boy howdy those are nice 'gills. 8"-10" in length? About a pound?

MSP...you live on the H2O?? Nice...How are the skeeters during the summer?? Thom

MSP
05-26-2005, 07:36 AM
Thom, I don't live on the water per say. My house is a 100 yrds or so away from the pond. The skeeters haven't been a problem, of course I usually fish mid day. Not exactly prime time but it doesn't seem to matter too much. Getting lazy in my old age you know! :D

David Lee
05-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Since the fish were all in the top 3 feet of water , you could see them plain as day ... Most were on beds or fighting , but a good amount were crusing the break less than 10 feet off shore .

Interesting thing - I saw at least 3 fish that I thought were Bass by their size alone ..... after a closer look , they turned out to be monster Bluegills . Most of them we caught were an honest 7 to 9 inches long .... but the three I saw were at least 4-5 inches longer :shock: .

After the spawn is finished , we should be able to tempt a few of the bigger ones - that should be amusing on the 4 wt. :!:

I don't know how MSP does it - if that was MY cement-pond ...... I'd drop dead from fishing it constantly . David

Hairstacker
05-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Drop dead from fishing it constantly? You and me both! :lol: I'll have to pay MUCH more attention to these things if I ever decide to move.

SullyTM
05-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Hairstacker...Look on the dull side...100 yards from home!!! Heck the wife can walk out the back door and yell: "MSP YOU GET HOME RIGHT NOW FOR DINNER!!!" But, you have to admit being close to the water is nice...I'm a 5 minute walk from my pond...and I can't here the wife yell for me :D

randy
05-27-2005, 08:52 PM
hey does'nt this 18", 3lb. bluegill story belong in the 124 lb. catfish thread ?

SullyTM
05-27-2005, 09:06 PM
MSP and David...In all of the excitement of viewing your pictures I forgot to ask: "What flies were you using?" Thanks. Thom

MSP
05-28-2005, 07:41 AM
Hi Thom, I got 2 Bass on David's BUGSKIN CRAW and 1 on a Carpet Caddis dry. All my Bluegill came on a Carpet Caddis Emerger. I'm not sure what David got his fish on.

Geez the size of those Gills are getting scary! (18*, 3Lbs):twisted: The one I got yesterday was measured at 10", I think that is was one of the larger ones, they look pretty small in the water until you try to hoist them over the block wall. Better be using 3X! I'm thinking of taking a hand gaff next time! :roll:

I'm thinking today might be a nice day to take a stroll around the cement pond and look for Ellie Mae! :D

SullyTM
05-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks Mike...Good luck with Moby Dick this weekend. Thom

Hairstacker
05-28-2005, 11:25 AM
I just KNEW those bugskin craws would be KILLERS. David should be selling those things. I keep an eye on mine to make sure it doesn't crawl out of the box.

SullyTM
05-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Hairstacker...10:25AM and you're on the FORUM :!: :!: :!: I know why I'm not out fishin'...what's you're excuse :?: I'm on the water tomorrow at 6AM!!! HA :!:

Hairstacker
05-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Well, I had planned to go this morning but when I woke and noticed 25 mph winds, I thought it would be better to get the yard work out of the way today (which I did) and go tomorrow. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :lol:

SullyTM
05-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Mike...Got SKUNKED this AM :evil: Local creek has a couple of carp and suckers...That's it :x Looks like it'll stay dead until October. Then the chinook will start running :D Tomorrow will be the neighborhhood pond. Maybe I'll nab a bass or two :?:

Hairstacker
05-30-2005, 11:42 AM
Well Thom, I didn't do much better in the Delta yesterday morning -- hooked 3 largemouth bass, landed 1, all on a chartreuse/white Clouser. Water didn't look any different than it did two weeks ago -- high and murky. Also fished topwater for over an hour and only got one half-hearted nip (probably a bluegill) and one swirl. Did see a gear guy catch a really nice one on a senko. If you strap a senko to a hook with fly tying thread, does that count as a fly? What if I added some hackle at the head? :lol: