PDA

View Full Version : Trip Planning advice

slack_in_the_box
05-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Hey Gang,

A buddy and I would like to take a long weekend trip into Baja sometime in July. We live in San Diego and would like to be able to drive to our destination. We are budget conciuos and looking to hire a panga for some near shore fishing.

Problem is my buddy doesn't fly-fish and I won't use anything but a fly. :roll:

Any ideas about where to go? Has anyone shared a panga with a spinning rod while FF :?:

Any and all thoughts are appreciated... :)

Thank you!

David Lee
05-25-2005, 10:35 AM
hey S.I.T.B. -

I think it's a little safer fishing in a boat w/ a gear fisherman , as opposed to another flyrodder . One line wizzin' around overhead is better than two , right ??

Just make sure whatever you're fishing for is shallow enough to reach w/ a fly .

From the border down to San Quinten , there are lots of spots to fish from shore .... good books on the subject are "The Baja Catch" by Kelly and Kira , "Surf Zone" by Ken Hanley , "Anglers guide to Baja" by Tom miller , "Baja on the fly" by Nick Curcione , and anything by Scott Sadil

Have fun !! I wish I was going ... :cry:

David

slack_in_the_box
05-25-2005, 10:59 AM
David, thanks for your reply.

I guess you're right about the lines whizzing around. :oops:

At some point I'd like to invite some folks from the board to go down as a group, but my salt skills are pretty basic right now. :oops: I catch fish, but I have not learned yet how to read the water, where to find them, etc.

Oh yea, and my spanish skills suck. :roll: Last year I went to Cabo geared up to FF for Jacks, but when I got there my guide had no idea what the heck a jack, trevally, or crevelle was. I even tried drawing him pictures in the dirt. :evil: :evil: I fished for 3 days with this guy catching tuna, dorado, but mostly pargo, and sierra when all I wanted was a Jack (rooster where not in yet)!!!!! Not untill the last day AFTER returning to the dock did I learn they were called Toro. And the guy who told me this had just returnded from catching the hell out them! :!: :!:

I fugre this time around I do my homework a little better.

I'll check out those books you recommended. :D :D

Thanks!

Jay Murakoshi
05-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Hey Slack,

There shouldn't be a problem fly fishing two out of a panga. As long as each of you keep the cast on the outside of the boat. As for spinning and fly together in the same boat, I don't see a problem with that except the conventional my want to troll, then there lays the problem. Fly gear is not designed to troll, just ask one of the guys who was with me in Baja. His line kept twisting and he couldn't cast 20'. I was watching him as he untangled the line on every cast. So we sat down discussed how this mess came about. My question to him was - "did you troll your fly while moving from point A to point B" His answer, "NO", i just let it drag behind the boat...... Well, in my book that's trolling the fly and putting alot of twists in the line. Even casting large flies will twist up your line but not as bad. So would I fly fish with a conventional person in the boat, most certainly. The fish should be close enough to the boat if the pangero does his job correctly.

Now for the spanish lesson. If you want to fish for Jacks, tell you captain "yo quiero pescar toro" I want to fish for jacks.
If you want to find out how much the boat is: Quanto cobra por dia

Since my last four weeks down there, I picked up quite a few lines of spanish and had spanish classes daily with the hotel bell hop and the director of the new La Paz aquarium. Now all I have to do is become fluent in Spanish

Hope you have a great trip....

Jay

slack_in_the_box
05-25-2005, 05:15 PM
Jay,

I appreciate your advice, and comments.

Coincedently, I was just on your site checking out your fly selections. :D :D I really like that you have these selections for novices like myslef, AND that you don't just put 1 of each in a box and call it a selection like most trout "selections."

I think I'll probably go with the Inshore selection for Jacks.

Thanks!! :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Fishing a fly fisher with a conventional angler in Baja out of a panga is great.

You migth go to Dan Blanton's web site to see if you can fish someone who has driven down to fish Baja.

I bought some books on driving and fishing the Baja. Go to the book stores in your area and tackle shops to see iof you can find a good book on driving/fishing Baja.

http://www.bajadestinations.com/books/tbc3/tbc3.htm

http://www.bajadestinations.com/books/tbc3/tbc3frontcov.jpg

This is the one I have right here on the shelf.

I have had dozens of people over the years come in the shop to get outfitted for a driving trip to Baja. Many are school teachers or retired.

Local Dunsmuir guide Fred Gordon use to take his pickup with cab-over camper with aluminum boat on top to Baja for months many years ago.

slack_in_the_box
05-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Bill,

Thank You for your recommendation :!: :!: :!:

I will be sure to check that out, and let you guys know if I have any questions after reading it.

:D

Darian
06-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Hey Slack,.... Here's a couple of good sites for info on the East Cape/La Paz areas:

www.garybulla.com

www.bajafly.com

Both of these sites are full of info about flies, fishing reports, BB's for questions, etc. Do your homework and you'll have the trip of a lifetime :D :D :D :D .