PDA

View Full Version : Sinktip Line for Lake Fishing?

chemdoc
05-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Now that the rivers and streams are overflowing I am more interested in lake fishing. My fishing buddy and I went out to Solano Lake last Friday, and not having a sinking line, I alternated between my 8 wt which has shooting heads and a five weight with a fast sinking tungsten leader. Both caught fish, but I think casting might be easier with a sinktip line on my 5 wt rod.

My friend has a Cortland sinktip line with a 20 ft sinktip with a 4 ips rating. This seemed to cast nicely for me. I see that you can go anywhere from a 10 ft sinking section to a full sinking line. Since I am going to Kiene's on Tuesday to purchase a spool and line, I was interested in opinions from the group. What do you think the best option is to maximize ease of casting from a canoe and most flexibility in catching fish both in lakes and perhaps swinging in rivers. Thanks.

Ryan
05-22-2005, 10:20 PM
Hey Phil, it sounds like you have been doing really good on putah latley. I think you underestimate yourself as a novice or beginner 8) . Anyways, the best line I have found for lake solano is an Intermediate full sink line. Intermediate lines work great for almost any lake I have fished, these include fuller, davis, amador, camanche, sly park, lake solano (obviosley), and even small bass ponds or creeks. Not to mention berryessa in shallower areas. But sink tips would be better good for rivers if you want to swing. But if you want a stillwater line, go with the Intermediate. Rio makes a good one, and so does Scientific Anglers with their stillwater series. Good luck.

flygolf
05-22-2005, 10:30 PM
I have to agree with Ryan. I too do a lot of lake fishing and only use full sinking lines. The sly is the most versatile but I like to have an arsenal all the way to super fast. Full sinkers are also nice to use on moving water if you are going to throw streamers targeting the big fish.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-22-2005, 11:03 PM
Our number one selling lake line is the full sinking Cortland 444 Clear Camo which many call an intermediate sinking line. It is a slow sinking line that looks like clear mono with a green tint.

Besides a floating line we usually then add some kind of a faster sinking full line like a type 3 or faster for getting real deep.

Most use full sinking lines in still water so there is a straight shot to the fly rather than a curve or bow.

Sinktips can give your fly a different action allowing it to rise to the surface.