PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead flies and dubbing?

Jasonh
05-21-2005, 09:11 AM
A few classic steelhead patterns that i would like to tie for the fall use seal fur dubbing for the body. I have yet to see seal fur for sale. What would be a good substitute or what do others use? Thanks.

Jason Hartwick

Darian
05-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Hi Jason,.... One of the products I've seen is called Sub-Seal. Can't recall what company sells it and haven't seen it recently (not that that means anything :roll: ). Kaufmann's lists Angora Goat as a substitute for seal fur. It comes in a wide variety of colors, too 8) .

If you're unable to find anything you like, you might consider a blending some natural and synthetic materials to meet your needs....( :?: )

BigWilly
05-22-2005, 12:25 AM
Went looking around the net fond seal dubbing in Europe and this one in the USA Web site is http://www.flymartflyshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?store_code=FF&screen=PROD&product_code=sr-dtp-888

The store is called fly mart fly shop

Pseudo Seal Traveller's Dubbing Assortment

Quantity in Basket: none
Code: sr-dtp-888
Price:$12.00

Great for Salmon and Steelhead flies, The Psuedo Seal dubbing has the same lustrous sheen as natural seal, but is not as stiff. This is much easier to tie than the real thing and just as effective. This assortment comes with Black, Polar White, Olive, Green, Golden Yellow, Burnt Orange, Purple, Red, Minnow Blue, Chartreuse, Shrimp Pink, and Orange.

Hope this helps you

Adam Grace
05-22-2005, 12:30 AM
Jason, Angora dubbing is vary similar in length and texture.

Jay Fair makes Seal-sub like Darian said, Bill carries that dubbing in his shop.

Jasonh
05-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Thanks for all the help guys.

Jason Hartwick

Darian
05-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Jason,..... Just in case you need another soucre for Seal Fur, try:

www.Aussiefly.com

Has baby and mature seal fur in colors....

Jgoding
05-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Hey Jason,

Feather Craft (webstore) may have what you're looking for if Bill doesn't. FC real seal is what they call it. Real seal blend.

Jeff