PDA

View Full Version : Gary Anderson rods?

Jasonh
05-20-2005, 05:59 AM
Has anyone fished with any of Gary Anderson's nre light spey rods, especially the 4 and 5 weight. Curious how they might be for trout and smaller steelhead? Thanks.

Jason Hartwick

Rick J
05-20-2005, 06:38 AM
I have yet to fish them but I got to cast them at the San Rafael show and think they would be awesome light steelhead (say Klamath fish) and trout. The 4 wt is likely the next rod on my list!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-20-2005, 08:00 AM
I just got the 6 weight.

Have not gotten out yet with it but will soon.

The 4 and 5 feel very good too.

rrivera
05-20-2005, 09:15 AM
I casted the 4 wt at the Kiene Expo a few weeks back. What a pleasure to cast... :!: :!: Who would ever think of a light tippet spey rod these days... The 4wt by Anderson will be my next rod..!

These light spey series rods are fantastic on trout rivers like the Yuba. I myself have 3 rods made by Bob Meiser (10.5 5/6 - 11.10 6/7 - 13' 7/8).

Steve Godshall, who was the Anderson rep at the show, knows Bob well and said that Anderson and Meiser rods are becomming the benchmark for lighter series spey rods today.

The beauty of light series spey for trout in my experiences:

-Stealth - Don't need to step in waist high water for a far cast
-Casting - No need for major inventory of what is behind you to cast far
-Fly Presentation - Once you cast, your drift to the desired hold spot is increased by minimal to no line or rod tending with a initial mend.

These light spey series rods have increased my catch ratio and I have less shoulder fatigue after a long day on the river.

Jasonh
05-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the input guys. It sounds like my next rod will be the anderson 4 wt. spey. Looking forward to checking it out in the near future.

Jason Hartwick

Jasonh
05-20-2005, 07:44 PM
What reels would ya'll think about putting on a 4 or 5wt spey rod? Just curious.

Jason Hartwick

steve sullivan
05-20-2005, 08:11 PM
I just got my winston minispey, it should be interesting to see how it fishes on the feather. It is a 7 weight 11 foot dual single /double handed rod (has a extended butt)

Rick J
05-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Jason,
I think that the lines I was casting on the 4 wt at San Rafael was a long belly 8 wt - someething like the Rio Steelhead taper - so any standard reel capable of holding maybe up to a 9 wt line should work. Do not think there are any "spey lines" yet made for these light rods but expect that will change in the not to distant future. One line may be the Wulff spey lines that seem light ot me - if they make a 6 (not sure they do) this might fly on some of the light spey rods coming out now