PDA

View Full Version : Question for David J. Lee

flygolf
05-18-2005, 09:32 PM
I notice on the Fish Sniffer that you posted something about Leopard shark fishing near Bodega. Would love to hear more about it...flies, weight rod, time of year, where exactly (Thats kind of a joke, unless you're willing to share). I would be very interested to learn more about this. Thanks

David Lee
05-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Hi Flygolf .

I have never hooked a Leopard on a fly .

But - I have caught many on gear and have made two trips w/ a flyrod for them . Here's what I've learned .....

Locations - I can't give-up my favorite spot .... It's much too small to handle any real pressure . The Tomales bay area is probably the best bet for Leopards on a fly , though . Look for small estuarys and back-sections of larger bays because sight-fishing is the name of the game with these fish . Also try to find channel edges off main bay points (Tom's Point , in Tomales , had a LOT of Sharks crusing just off the beach) .

Times - I've heard high summer has the most Sharks in these places , but I've seen them in fall , too . Since you want to sight-fish to them , avoid murky water periods (runoff) . As far as tides go ..... I like to be on my spot at dead-low tide , then watch the Leopards come in and hunt/cruse on the incoming .

Gear - I used a fast 7 wt. to fish to these Sharks , but the only one I had follow would have been a bit rough on light gear . Using medium surf gear and 15 lb. line , I've had 4 foot Leopards rip off 50 -yard runs against a stiff drag ... an 8 to 10 wt. is a practical choice . Floating or I lines w/ 10 -foot leaders (tippets should be 12-20 lb.) . Flies ??? Whatever they can see . They are very slow to eat one , but when they WANT your fly .... they WILL get it . Bright flies of black .... just make sure they are bulkey . A 1/0 Chart./White Clouser is as good of a choice as anything .

I wish I could tell you more , but since I haven't actually nailed one on a fly yet .....

Hope this helps . David

flygolf
05-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply that does help quite a bit. I appreciate your feedback, Good luck and let me know when you get one.