PDA

View Full Version : Spring Smallmouth primer -

David Lee
05-16-2005, 11:53 PM
Almost time for all of those "unknown" Smallie streams to open :D (go get your DFG regs out and read 'em) . Here's what ya need :arrow:

Rods- 7 1/2 -9 foot , 4-7 wt.

Reels - yes , they are a good idea ..... :roll:

Leaders - 6-12 foot , tippets 4-10 lb.

Flies - #4-#6 clousers , #10-#4 Buggers , #6 Zonkers , #10-#6 Leeches , #8-#4 Muddlers , Nymphs (Dragonflies , Stoneflies , Caddis , Prince , Birdnest ....) #12-#6 , Topwaters (Crease flies , Gurglers , foam/cork poppers) #10-#2

Early season is the best for BIG Smallmouth Bass , they are dumb and hungry !!! I will post a report after exploring this weekend .

David

Wingman
05-17-2005, 11:30 AM
David,

Thanks for the info. Are there any "unknown" streams that I should steer clear of? :wink: How should I fish for these guys? Any shad or stripers to be found in these streams as well?

Thanks

David Lee
05-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi Wingman -

The "unknown" streams to avoid are ....
Icy-cold . :?
Super-muddy . :x
Still closed . :o
Devoid of fish . :twisted:

Jokes aside .... Take a look at your local maps . You will see lots of blue lines on the maps - are there any fishes in those streams ?? Only one way to find out !! Check the regs. for opening dates .

Usually , no Shad or Stripes in them , but lots of Sunnies , Largemouth , Carp , Catfish .... Of course , you never really know just what you're gonna find in them . Get out and fish , it beats the crap out of drowning on the American :idea:

David PS - P.M. me for a few leads on spots .....

05-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Hey David
Some of those smallmouth streams that open next weekend look as bad as the American. I think a better bet will be Sly Park,Camp Farwest,or Cameron Park.Although Cameron Pk. has a heavy bloom of green stuff right now.It may still fish ok.