PDA

View Full Version : Baja 5/15, 16

Jay Murakoshi
05-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Ok, here the report for the last two days. Couldn't post due to the fact the hotel computer went down.

On Saturday, the rooster seemed to scatter. There were way to many guys trolling the beaches for roosters, since the word got out and fishing for yellow tail and dorado is pretty slow. I only caught 3 roosters yesterday and they weren't that big. I would say, two were 5 to 7 pounds and one about 13lbs. The big one was caught in the rocks at Muerto's bay on the sea habit. I also had to drop from 20lbs to 15lb leaders. Over on the beach side the trollers and other fly guys were throwing way to much bait and eventually the roosters get wise. Talked to four guys at the Giggling Marlin and they told me they had a great catch. The four of them had caught at least 30 roosters before quitting. I really didn't want to tell them they were full of ****. I was at the beach before they arrived and they left before I did. I know of at least two guys who were trolling the "live sardina" and they did hook up at least two but fought each fish for at least 25 minutes each. Then there were two other using fly rods and fly lines but had a single hook with a sardina attached and throwing to the feeding fish... One of the guys at the table also said he had Huge rooster for over and hour before he landed it. So once again, figure out the fishing time, which by the way they were back at the Giggling Marlin around 10:45am before I pulled in at 11:00 and the time it took to land the fish. I guess it makes them feel good. Then I had to brag about the rooster I caught the day before and they had that look, you know - Ah, yeah right. Until I brought the photo up on the digital and had my proof. They were speechless... I hate doing things like that but ya gotta love it.

Today was a different day. Pretty dang rough in the morning making the run to the island. Some big decent choppy waves and moderate south winds. After making the crossing, we hit some dead calm waters along the island and found bait pretty fast. So, since the winds were blowing on the outside, we stayed inshore and I fished for the freezer, Ramon's freezer. I ended up catching around 20 cabrilla, about 6 dog tooth snappers, 6 trigger's, 18 or more lady fish and a couple of those slimmy trumpet fish. I also caught one jack around 9 lbs.
Then we got more bait and head back across to the light house. What a difference. The wind had laid down but still breezy and the beach area was ok but still had a little chop. We played around there for about an hour catching nothing but lady fish after lady fish. Got tired of changing leaders and decided to head back to Muretos bay's corner. There we found all kinds of roosters willing to eat sardinas but not flies... I did hook into 4 but lost them at the boat. Nothing larger than 5/7 pounds but those are fun.

This was the end of my 4 weeks of baja fishing. I decided not to fish tomorrow and go back to the accupunturist before I head back home.
My two guys are going out in the morning and maybe look for some dorado. Maybe the south wind this morning brought some in.

This has definitly been a great trip. I think I caught at least 35 roosters or more and a high number of jacks.

OK, now for the equipment failures. We lost a couple of SA lines, broke at the transition point where the head and running line joins. Also the same thing with the Rio Lines. One of the guys lost a Rio Line yesterday, also. In the rod department, there were two Orvis rods, one Powell, one TFO and a couple of others that I can't remember. Reels, two Orvis Battenkills don't know if they were the saltwater version and a Orvis LA reel. That reel had the clutch completely smoked.

I don't look down on these manufactures. Some could be angler error and some manufacture defects - just don't know

I be home mid next week and will post the photo of the 40lb rooster I caught and alos the HUGE rooster I caught on Friday and then you can compare the size and figure the weight. Like I said, it's over 65lbs, I believe

Jay

How's the shad and striper fishing

Hairstacker
05-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Wow, great trip Jay! Really looking forward to the pictures. Bummer to hear the 3 reels were Orvis's, since I own 3 of 'em myself. :lol: By the way, it would also be cool to hear your opinion about the rods and reels you felt performed particularly well. Short of heading down to Baja, I can't think of an equivalent test around here -- maybe tie on to my wife's CRV and have her drive off? :lol:

caflyfisher
05-16-2005, 06:39 AM
i had Xi2's with Tibor reels down there and had no problem. i did lose three lines - two shooting heads with manufacturers loops and one SA line that literally unravelled. clearly you can get something half the price, but you might have to buy it twice!

Jay Murakoshi
05-16-2005, 07:45 AM
Hey Mike,

Pulling on the CRV would definitly feel like pulling a 14lb skipjack or a 15lb Toro (Jack). As posted below, the Xi 2 performed well. I was using a Loomis CC GLX 8wt and had no problems except this past friday. Had a tuff time turning the pez gallo. It was definitly in control for a long time before he decided to give up. I think the 9' rod is now 9' 2". It had to of stretch the grapite fibers. You'll see what I mean when I get back and post the photo's

Been talking to alot of guys who come down here in June and July and also talked with a couple of the captians. Lot's of sails of the southern tip of Cerralvo and dorado included. But the weather is alot hotter at that time of year. Might be planning a 3 day trip in late June. I will also make it a business trip.

Leaving in the morning for the states, will post photo's as soon as I get acclaimted toe the california weather.

Jay

Wingman
05-16-2005, 09:00 AM
Jay,

I haved enjoyed all of your reports from this trip. A trip to baja is now on my "must do" list. I can't wait to see the photos!

Thanks