PDA

View Full Version : Lower Putah Creek

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Eugene and I went out Saturday afternoon in my 15' Coleman canoe west of Davis, CA.

We had some nice small bass and some bluegill action. Some on top and some just under on black buggers.

There were lots of very large carp cruising just under the surface. I would love to be able to figure out how to catch them on flies?

Eugene had 'one' real nice small Umpqua 'Swimming Frog'. It is a spun & clipped deer hair bug like a fancy Dahlberg Diver with rubber legs. He put it on because he had great action a few springs back at Kelsey Bass Ranch.

It was nice to get out and pound the banks a bit. It took us an hour or so to get into a nice rhythm.

Don't foreget that the mosquitos are out just about the time the top water gets real good. I would cover up mostly and put a little insect repelent on the back of your neck. A good hat, light long pants and a light long sleeve shirt will help with the sun and bugs.

We both decided we are mostly top water guys not caring for anything but the surface take.

We were using 6 weight outfitds and realized that there is a limit to how big a 'bug' you can control with that much outfit.

For real big bass bugs I can see why an 8 weight rod with a WF9F bass bug tarper would be great.

Also a short heavy butt leader would help too. For big bugs some tie there own leaders but I have been using a 7 1/2' Ox Rio knotless tapered leader that has a .026" butt diameter. I needle nail knot it directly to my fly line.

http://www.kiene.com/images/lwrputah.jpg

Hairstacker
05-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Bill, sounds like you had fun, good for you guys! :D

Yeah, even if there are no mosquitos, this time of year I go with long pants, long sleeve shirts, wide-brim hat, and sun gloves for protection against the sun. I think this is especially important when you're out on the water where there's a lot of reflection off the water.

You've got to admit those bass are a lot of fun on a 6 wt. 8)

flygolf
05-15-2005, 06:19 PM
Bill, I and two buddies were also out on Putah on Sat.. We drifted the lower section in foat tubes swinging flies and did well on the planters (rainbow) all about 12-15 inches. It was the first time fly fishing for one of my buddies dad and I was coaching him on where to cast when I found a good school of fish and he finally got into one. He was screaming and saying how big the fish was. I was figuring that this guy was so used to using spinning gear and the fish on a fly rod seem bigger than usual when I see the fish in front of me. It was one of the big browns that inhibit Putah, after a nice fight, he ended up landing this pig of a brown. I would post the picture if I knew how. Make a long story short he released the fish unharmed and it was the only fish he caught all day.

p.s. let me know how to post and I'll post a picture.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-15-2005, 09:14 PM
'flygolf',

Send any pictures to me by email or mail or drop them off at the shop with a note. I will get them up here.

I think you were near Lake Solano. We were down near UC Davis near 113. Your water is in the 50s and ours was in the 70s. (degrees)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-15-2005, 09:59 PM
That was fast.........here is the photo from Mark Thompson on Putah Creek as it flows into Lake Solano near the campgrounds.

Saturday May 14, 2005

http://www.kiene.com/images/putahbrown.jpg

Most would have to go to New Zealand for a wild Brown trout like this????

Not Winters, CA.

Hairstacker
05-15-2005, 11:46 PM
Wow, that is one heck of a nice brown! :shock: Wonder what fly he caught it on. . . .

SteelieD
05-16-2005, 09:45 AM
What an awesome fish. And a great picture too! Nice. :D