PDA

View Full Version : Friday 13th

Jay Murakoshi
05-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Are you superstitious

Well, this report is going to be fairly long due to the fact that the GRAND Pezzzzzzzzzzz Gallo's are here.

After getting bait, I decided it was going to be strictily a rooster & <Jack day. Boy, what a day it tuned out to be. We arrived at the location around 8 30am and was into fish on the first cast. Perfect day, no wind, glassy water and not a soul in sight. The first fish landed was a rooster about 14lbs.... Took a water break for about 30 secs before the boils started again and it only took 4 cast and FISHHHHHHHH ON. This one took alittle longer to bring to the hand it was near 20lbs. Damn, what a great morning for being friday the 13th. The third rooster busted off, so it was time to take on more water and tie on a new fly. Missed the eye of hte fly completely and had to start over again. Had to tell myself to relax, you're a veteran at this but how the heck you going to relax when all these roosters are busting at the boat.
I would have to say that most of the fish were big, big as in BIG !!!!!!!

landed two more before running out of bait. But still had two live ones in the tank. The pangero threw them out and I hit the target perfect.... BIG FISH ON & running. Fought this one for about 25 minutes on a 8 wt rod. After he got me tired and I had him to the boat, we tried boating it but it was too DAMN big to lift. The guide had him by the tail and I put the rod down and grebbed the leader to grab this rooster by the mouth. I think my whole arm would of fit in the mouth. Just then, the leader broke right at the eye of the fly. After reviewing it, the eye loop or epoxy in the eye might of cut the leader. Ramon tried holding on to the tail and almost went overboard. We estimate at least 65 lbs or more.
So off to get more bait. Upon on returning, the fleet was in there but the roosters were still busting. I'm sure by this time the roosters were full and getting picky about what to eat. The other guides were throwing hand fulls of bait not one'z, two'z. I did see a couple other fly fishing out there. The husband had one about 25 lbs and the wife landed her fish which boga heavier than 30lbs With all the roosters I have caught, I would say the weight was 35 to 38lbs.... I wasn't that far off, I saw them weighing it at the giggling Marlin - it weighed 37lbs. There were a couple slugs that were also brought in. One weighed 78lbs another around 70lbs.
Wait until you see the photo's of the fish I did land. It's going to knock your socks off. We killed it because it had taken the fly deep and was bleeding way to much. It was almost belly up when we landed it. Don't really know the exact weight but I would say way over 60lbs probably close to 70 pounds. I had a guy take the photo on the beach, it looks ok.

Now it off to the accupunture for another treatment, God only knows that I need it. The old knee is hurting today. Might fish two more days and take off the last day and get struck and rest. I think I've had enough fishing in almost 4 1/2 weeks.

Report back tomorrow

Jay :D

k.hanley
05-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Duuuuuuuuude! I missed it by three days???? Really glad to hear about the rooster blitz (my rooster hand salute is on top of my head right now!). I bet people's eyes were buggin' outta there skulls.
Cheers, Ken 8)

Jay Murakoshi
05-13-2005, 04:22 PM
juat checked the photo on the digital. The head of the rooster is almost at my chest and the tail is still dragging. Not enough strength to lift it high.
Sounds like we might have more company tomorrow. the open tackle guys are taking long rides for nothng, only a few snapper.
I did see a dorado about 25lbs come in this afternoon. I heard around the pool just a little bit ago, that the van left two guys at the beach who were still on a marlin. Sounds like these guys had already put in about 3 hours.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow

Jay

caflyfisher
05-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Jay/Ken -

Before I read this last post, I thought I had it bad - can't think of anything but getting back down there. Now, with monster pez gallo, I don't know if I will sleep tonight! Glad to hear all is going well with the group and your knee.

For all of you who have even considered taking a Baja trip with Ken and Jay, no need to think any longer. Book your trip - it's an incredible experience!

See you on 26 Jun 05 at the SurfZone clinic.

Regards,
Harvey

Hairstacker
05-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Jay, now I understand why you've developed an interest in carp. Your reports have given me an entirely new perspective on the concept of "fighting" fish. I imagine the kind of fishing you've been doing could ruin you for freshwater, ha.

I'm also surprised at how hard it is on equipment. :shock: I've never broken a rod in freshwater and don't ever expect to burn out a reel. Sounds like for serious saltwater, though, you really do need to get into some serious gear. Amazing stuff you and Ken have gotten into down there. Can't wait to see the pictures! :D

Darian
05-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Mike,..... Just imagine you're using a 12 wt, 9' fly rod with an intermediate shooting head system while casting a giant Tap's Bug as a popper for cruisin' Dorado :shock: :P :P :P How hard can it be :?: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Do they make synthetic deer hair :?: :?:

All I can say is BRING ON THE SALT :!: :!: :!: I'm hooked :!: :roll: :roll:

pearson
05-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Jay,

On some of the other reports you mentioned several "equipment failures". I'm going down there in July and would really like some more detail so I don't bring the wrong gear and/or commit the same errors.

Thanks
Jeff

Jay Murakoshi
05-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Just got back in from fishing. I'll send a report on the equipment and the last two days of fishing. It's getting hotter

Jay

pearson
05-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Looking forward to it. Thanks, Jay.