PDA

View Full Version : Streaming Video

SullyTM
05-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Check out www.littlelehighflyshop.com There are 4 video clips of feeding trout which shows just how they gobble up surface flies. Good training aid for fly presentation. SullyTM

Hairstacker
05-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Thom, cool videos! 8) I was surprised to see how active these fish are. For some reason, I expected more pausing between rises. . . .

SullyTM
05-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Mike, it was interesting that the fish operated in a small area...back and forth, back and forth. Definitely shows you that whether you're using a dry or wet fly the need to get it on the water upstream is very important.

SteelieD
05-12-2005, 04:08 PM
That's great! What an interesting perspective!

Jeff Edwards
05-12-2005, 04:21 PM
OMG,

I grew up fly fishing the Little Lehigh! It runs right through Allentown PA. It's about 40 minutes north of Philly. That river is SO full of trout it rediculous! The trout hatchery is right next to the river, and they commenly release 1000's of trout into the stream right next to the fly shop. The good thing is its all catch and release next to the fly shop in the park region. Its also fly fishing ONLY so its open year round! Man do I have alot of fishing stories on that river....

I can also say this about the river. They are without a doubt the most picky trout to fish for. Worse then Hat Creek Carbon Flats area! They see continous pressure daily all year long. You can see 50 fish in front of you and might not get 1 to hit at all. It can be frustrating... My favorite fly there is a size 24 midge on 7x tippet. The midge is tied in black on a scud hook with a tiny red stripe on its back. I use 7x becasue the trout will swim up to your fly and just follow it for a few feet to see if there is tippet on the fly. Any strange look to the fly and their gone.

With that said I have also had stellar days on the river catching lots of large trout. which is the reason I keep going back because you never know when that day will happen. I spent 20 years fly fishing PA and this river is in my top 5 rivers to fish!

Jeff Edwards

SullyTM
05-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Jeff...I guess I'll bring my gear with me later this Summer when I drop my son off at Lehigh University for his freshman year...24 midge!!! YIKES! Don't know if I can tie that small...probably will stop by the Little Lehigh Fly Shop and buy a few. Thanks...

Rick J
05-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Tricos on Silver Creek are my favorite fishing - nothing quite so rewarding as having one of those big fish suck in your imitation amoungst 1000 naturals!! What many folks don't realize is how much a trout moves - he often isn't stuck in this 2" feeding lane so unless you can actually see the fish and not just the rise, your drift, though it may be perfect, will go by the fish as he moves back and forth - that is why you really need to stick with one fish and just keep casting until everything falls into place - a perfect drift just when the fish is ready to rise and in the lane you fly is in!!

Vey cool!!

Jeff Edwards
06-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Sully I would bring your fly fishing gear. There a re a lot of nice fishing creeks around the Allentown area. I also suggest stopping in the Lehigh fly shop. They should be able to give you some good advice. Actually I will be back east for the last week in August until Labor Day...I might just bring my 4wt banboo, dust off my east coast fly boxes, and call my fly fishing buddies back there.

There are alot of nice places to fly fish near Lehigh Univ. The Pocono Mts are just north of Lehigh, and are loaded with Brook trout and wild browns in the streams. Of course it helps to know the waters to be able to find them. I have a lot of little "secret" trout streams I like to fish in the Poconos. Some of them you can step across.

I'll stop here or this could be a really long post.

Sully I hope your son fly fishes. He will not be disappointed.

Jeff