PDA

View Full Version : Insoring talk of catch and release on the Fish Sniffer board

Tracy Chimenti
05-12-2005, 08:17 AM
This is an all-tackle board guys, and most of them are in favor of a slot limit!

Tracy

Tracy Chimenti
05-12-2005, 08:18 AM
Geeze, forgot to spell-check!

David Lee
05-12-2005, 10:33 AM
T'was I that posed the question to the fishsniffers .

Not to start a fight , or rag anyone about catch and release , but to get a feel for what the bait and lure guys think about conservation . There are quite a few fly guys on there , most practice CnR . Most of them were pretty civil with the way they responded , thank goodness ! That thread could have gone in a bad direction fast .....

Several people didn't want to give-up their right to harvest Stripers .... and , they are correct - They SHOULD be able to keep some fish to eat because there's nothing wrong with that . If the fisherey was only catch and release , no other options , I'd rather see it closed , because fishing is a blood sport , like it or not . Sometimes , fish die no matter how careful we are w/ them .

Lots of support for a slot limit there , and everywhere else , as well . I would hope a group of Biologists will make the decision as far as slot sizes go , not the folks with something to gain - Science should be the ONLY basis for that call (that would be a nice change , wouldn't it ??) .

I don't really know the long-term effects of having a slot in place ... I would think more large fish in the system , but not more fish over-all . It stands to reason that , without water , and better screening systems in place , the population isn't going to improve too much . Of course , the flip side of that is larger fish=more eggs ..... I am the last person who should speculate on these matters since I'm not a Biologist (thank God .... I'd be working on a way to rid the world of ......) .

All in all , nice group of people over there . I really think we all want the same thing ...... More Striped Bass in California .

David

SullyTM
05-12-2005, 11:55 AM
David...Well said.

You're at 499 posts...got one more in you? Early congrates on #500. I remember #123 like it was yesterday! You are one of the pistons that drive this Forum. Me? I'm like a back seat driver! I'll tip a cold one to all the Forum 500 this weekend...Trader Joe's here I come.