PDA

View Full Version : Baja Questions for Jay or Ken....

Darian
05-11-2005, 10:49 PM
I've fished out of the East Cape area but would like to try the La Paz area (especially Isla Cerralvo) and I know that both of you conduct programs there 8) 8) .

Have read several articles/posts on other BB's that indicate there is a ride of some distance to the place where cruisers/pangas are met/launched in order to fish at Isla Cerralvo. If that is correct, how much distance/time is involved from La Paz :?:

Is the cost of this transportation included in group packages :?: :?:

Are hotels or resorts in the La Paz area similar in cost to that of East Cape :?:

Are there any places to purchase fly equipment in La Paz :?:

k.hanley
05-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Say Hey Darian,

The lodging options are far more abundant in La Paz (facility type and pricing). There is no tackle shop in the city that caters to fly fishing. There isn't much in the way of conventional gear either (but at least there's something at a few hotels and the CCC store).

The ride to the Cerralvo fishing fleet is approximately 1 hour... no big deal. Paved all the way. The fleet now launches out of Muertos Bay. Transportation is indeed covered in our programs, and when you book through any major hotel operation. You could opt to rent your own vehicle if you prefer.

We both believe that this region offers the best overall experience for variety of species and quality of catch.
Cheers, Ken

Jay Murakoshi
05-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Gotta love baja, today is my last day of resting up. In the morning we will once again start pulling on fish. Looks like the weathe is perfect but you can never tell until you get over the hill. The temperature is probably reaching the low 90's, Ken's type of weather.

Did my last accupuncture today. It's amazing but I can now bend my knee almost all the way back. Hopefully, this will eliminate my total knee replacement. Learn alot this procedure and what it does.

Getting the guys ready and rigged for tomorrow. For you guys who love Pacifico, you should be here, they are passing out free beer at the pool.
There is a Lynn Rose tournament going on right now and the sponser beer companies are here passing out the refreshments... Lot's of other type of scenery also. Haven't seen or heard from any of the fishing guys yet.

I was discussing some materials with a guy here who makes lures in baja and has a shop in Cabo. Seemed to me like the king of the lure type of person if you know what I mean. I was talking to him in regards to our fly fishing world and he seemed interested but kept going back to the lead head lures. Then I brought out one of my 14" pink squid. I was demo'ng the fly in the pool and all the wives got up from the table and were really interested in how that thing swims. Did't mean to burst the guys bubble.
One of the fisherman wanted to buy the squid, but it's not for sale

Report to be posted tomorrow

Jay

Darian
05-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Hey Jay,.... Where do I get one of those Pink Squid Patterns :?: :?: I'd like to attract all of the women at the pool, too :D :P :P :P

Jay Murakoshi
05-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Just got through talking to a bunch of guys in the tournament. Pretty sad day and some long boat rides. No dorado, a few yellow tails up to 37lbs.
I hope to have a dorado day tomorrow so I can bring back some photo's.
Gawd, I just love to rub-it-in.

See ya tomorrow

Jay

Darian
05-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Hey Jay,.... When ya got it, flaunt it :!: :!: :!: :twisted: :twisted:

Darian
05-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Been researching lodging in La Paz and found several great places but I'd like to know which one(s) is stratecically located for making the trip to the launching area.... Downtown or more remote :?:

Also, noted it looks like the only air routes from here to there involve going through LAX. Is that your experience too :?: :?:

Do you have any recommendations :?: :?:

Jay Murakoshi
05-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Darian,

If you're looking to stay in La Paz, there are a few hotels along the Malecon. Perla, Los Arcos, La Concha, Crown 7. Most of the rates will be $70.00 and up. As for ground transportation to the beach from there, I think the only way by shuttle is to sign up with one of the fishing fleets or rent a car.

Here's the procedure for the flying. You have to make connections in LAX for La Paz. There are two flights daily, one in the morning around 7:30am and the other one is 4:20pm. Both are on Aero California or sometime known as Aero Maybe. Maybe they might leave on time or cancel the flights. You have to travel with an open mind.
I'm still trying to figure out what flights go where. Some flights go into Loreto for Immigrations and some fly to Hermasillo. Also, on the return flights, some go direct from La Paz to LAX,which I believe is the afternoon flight btu I've also taken the afternoon flight which lands in Loreto for immigrations.

Alaska is suppose to becoming to La Paz in October but I won't hold my breath.

Hope this helps

Jay

Darian
05-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Jay,.... Thanks for the info :D . I noticed in one of your posts that you were thinking of returning to La Paz in late June on "business".... Does that mean you'll be conducting one of your programs :?: :?: :?: