PDA

View Full Version : American report May 7th -

David Lee
05-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Hit the lower river at noon , quit at 4:30 .

Nothing - No Smolts jumping , Squawfish , Suckers , Stripes , Steelies , Shad ..... No hits , bumps , or follows .

Water still cold and high ..... Very clear , and a stiff east wind (the kiss of death , in my experence) . In 6 years of fishing out there , I've never seen the American this slow . Also , very few fishing down there , just me and 3 others (at this time , usually a line of spin-guys hitting Shad ....) .

I have no idea what is going on ...... David

Tony Buzolich
05-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Glad to see you're still hanging in there after that last experience with rude people.
I think it has slowed elsewhere too with this cool weather and cold water. The shad around Verona are still very slow, and have already gotten to Rd.48 and Princeton area on the Sac. Hopefully next week the weather will warm and things will get going.
Keep up the posts on the American. I grew up on that river and really enjoy fishing it (when things are happening).
TONY

Hairstacker
05-08-2005, 07:51 AM
David, maybe it's just the weird weather we've been having? I managed to break away for a couple of hours and hit the Delta yesterday. I did manage to hook 3 and land 1 on Clousers but it seemed slow there too. Water temperature was getting there (65 degrees) but not much activity. Water was pretty murky where I was and unusually high still. Quite a bit different from my log of last year at this time. Ah well, I expect it will pick up soon enough.

David Lee
05-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Tony -

I can deal w/ the rude people pretty well , it's the crazy , violent ones that I have to struggle with NOT BEATING THE $#%! out of ..... :twisted:

There is nothing quite as dead as a migratory river between good runs . I have found only 1 pod of Stripes this year , in my experence , that is more than a little abnormal . Maybe the main body of the run is late ?? I thought the runs would be about 5 weeks late , but this lack of fish is getting a bit silly .

When the American is on , I've never seen anything that could top it .

Mike -

Long , cold , wet spring ...... I think you'll get into them good in the summer . I'm suprised that the Sunfish and Crappies haven't found you yet . I'm switching to ponds here pretty quick , time to break-in the new Fenwick Eagle 7 1/2 foot 4 wt. and the new Teton #4 . Those Sunnies are in DEEP TROUBLE :!:

On the "bright" side ..... All this cold water bodes well for the Salmon and Steelhead this fall - They are LONG OVERDUE for a break in the rotten water conditions , I hope they have a super-good spawn for a change . As much as the season has been hard on us so far , the fish (if they are in there ...) can use the peace and quiet .....

Sore lips can't be very much fun - :roll:

David

SullyTM
05-08-2005, 07:50 PM
David...Sorry to hear that the AR is still smartin' from the Winter rains...which are still comin' our way. I couldn't go out this weekend due to the rain. So I spent the better half of the weekend trying to figure out why I'm getting wet spots on my ceiling around the eve vents. Spent more time in the attic than a bat!! I'm hoping for a break tomorrow...Might try to hook into a carp! Yeah, right! I ready for some 80 degree days! THom