PDA

View Full Version : baja flies

PaulC
05-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Figured you guys would get a kick out of a swap down south.
Food for thought pattern wise at least... Pics are at the bottom of the thread.
http://www.garybulla.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1715&page=2
-Paul

Hairstacker
05-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Thanks Paul! Some great-looking flies there! :D

Darian
05-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Great site/BB.... Really like the photo's... 8) . Like the Sardina Pattern :D . Is the squid pattern tied as a double hook pattern :?: :?:

When do you go to Baja on your trip???

PaulC
05-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Hey Darian,
Its a single hook pattern with the back end flexible to get out of the way.
James put a nice post with tying instructions.
http://www.garybulla.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1807
Definitely a nice lookin fly. If I was a fish I'd eat it:)

I'm heading down first week of June for a week. Staying at Rancho Leonero based on a friend's recommendation.
Should be good I hope. Its always fun to fish/visit somewhere new.
Its funny how tying at the vise for a trip can get you stoked on it even more. Finishing up a pattern thinking, "Man...what kind of fish is going to grab this thing?"
-Paul

Darian
05-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Paul,.... You're gonna be down there (same place) at the same time of the year UI was, last year 8) . My partner and I had a great time down there and I'm trying to figure out how to move down there, now :lol: .

We fished from the beach, a kayak and out of a super panga; went snorkeling and just for walks. East Cape really is a special place.... The only thing I missed was the food at the Rancho is like American food. I thought it would be more Mexican seafood :? . Oh well,.... It was still very good 8) .

You're really gonna like it.... :D :D

PaulC
05-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Cool. I'm definitely looking forward to it.
I assume you were flyfishing.
How was your experience with the guide on the panga?
Looking at their fish pictures, I rarely see a flyrod in there so I wonder how experienced they are with flyfishing customers.
-Paul

MSP
05-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Hey Paul, If I'm not mistaken, Rancho Leonero is where Jay is at right now. I know when I stayed there there was a whole group of flyrodders including Jay himself. I was reading a Magazine in the library and the article I was reading was by Jay. I walked down for breakfast and there was Jay with his group. :shock: I'm taking a flyrod with me but don't plan on using it a whole lot. We have 10 in our group with me being the flyrodder. I'll probably throw it if we get into some Yellowfin or Dorado. Might even throw for some Roosters from the beach if I haven't had too many Pacificos. I'll post a report when I get back, mostly conventional stuff but if the fish are there you will have a great time. From Jay's reports it sounds like it should be a gas. I'm heading out the 14th - 20th.

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/photopost45/data/500/285rooster-med.JPG

Darian
05-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Hey Mike,..... Great Rooster photo. Kinda looks like a punk rocker :P and acts like it too :lol: :lol: .

Paul,..... We fly fished the surf and bait fished out of the super panga.... When in the panga, we were out in blue water most of the time. No Dorado or Tuna at that time :( . but Marlin were everywhere and my fly rods were a little light for that stuff..... Altho not their regular fare, the guides are OK with fly fishing. They try to put you over whatever fish you're interested in. We used a guide named Guiermo. Good guy..... Very understanding of my amatuerish act while attached to 120lb Marlin :lol: . Also, very complementary afterwards..... Like I said, good guy... :D :D .

The best fly fishing for Roosters while I was there was down the coast at La Ribera. There're some bait and Shark nets down there and all of the bait fisherman/guides are based there. It seems to attract Roosters in close to shore. The really big Roosters are usually down further at "the lighthouse" at Punta Arenas. The water is so deep there that blue water comes up to about 100 yards off shore..... Everyone fishes that area from a panga or super panga. Believe me, the water is so deep up close to shore there, that I'm sure there're things that are so big in there they could easily eat us... :P :P :P .

There's a reef in front of the resort that attracts Snappers/Pargo/Roosters chasing bait. Surf fishing either direction from the resort..... Best to the south. Fish very early for Roosters out of the boat or in the surf.

I'm envious... :roll: :roll: . You're really gonna have a great trip :D :D .

k.hanley
05-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Say Hey MSP and board members,
Just a small note of clarification. Jay isn't down at Leonero. We've been running our clinics around Cerralvo Island. He's actually quite aways north of the East Cape. Our programs are 35 miles north of Los Barriles (considered the northern border of the East cape). Our home base is out of La Paz. I just returned last night. EXCELLENT time down south... as you already know via Jay's postings. 8)
Cheers, Ken

MSP
05-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Oops! I guess I should quit assuming. Anyway we know he is down there somewhere! I don't think anyone could go wrong anywhere on the Cape.